Super Contributor

Re: da Vinci robotic hysterectomy - in one week

[ Edited ]

@Mayflowers , I forgot to tell you to be sure to have a bra that either is front close or that you can put on over your head.  I also wore a loose summer dress to avoid pants putting presssure on your stomach.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a total one 10 years ago due to pre cervical cancer. My scar is almost hip to hip which I'm thinking you won't have. Since I always had jobs that weren't behind a desk, but were more physical I was out of work for 6 weeks or so. The thing I remember most was that I was very tired  for quite awhile after getting it done. Well wishes for you and you'll be better soon. Let us know how you're doing .

Esteemed Contributor

Many prayers and Blessings for a recovery. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I heard you have to worry about organ prolapse after removing everything....does the doctor discuss this side effect with you?

Super Contributor

My Urologist removed my bladder due to cancer and did a hysterectomy at the same time via the Da vince robotic method last June.  I looked at the small incision sites just now and they are almost invisible.  I had the surgery on Monday and went home Friday.  Pain medication was given while in the hospital and I went home with a prescription.  I had it filled but didn't need it.  I now wear a urostomy pouch .  I was so focused on learning about my pouch that I didn't give much thought to the fact that I had a hysterectomy.  My surgeon said robotic surgery as the best way for me.  I agree.  I totally trust my doctor.  

Respected Contributor

I had a hysterectomy almost four years ago.  The recovery time was not bad.  I was back at work in four weeks because I have a sedentary desk job.  My incision was hip bone to hip bone because my uterus was extremely large due to fibroid (non cancerous) tumors.  My regret was reading stories from other women that had the procedure.  I read truly awful stories about constant bleeding and intolerable pain.  My surgery was not that bad.  All I can tell a woman going through this is that every situation is different.  Some people heal better than others.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for all the great responses!  I feel better now.  I love my QVC ladies!! I will post back after the surgery.  

Honored Contributor

I had huge fibroids, I suffered for years.  I had a hysterectomy when I was 39.  I'm 61 now.  It was the absolute best decision of my life.  My recovery was easy and free of any complications.  It was so amazing to be free of the pain and heavy bleeding.   Fibroids run in our family, my cousin and her daughter had hysterectomy several years ago.  Their experiences were similar to mine.  It's normal to be nervous before any surgery.  You'll do great.

Valued Contributor

Had a robotic hysterectomy two years ago.  It was then easiest surgery to recover from. I was in the hospital 3 days and had my bladder put in a sling.  Came home with no side effects.  My daughter who is 46 had a robotic hysterectomy 3 weeks ago after having a double mastectomy and she was released the same day.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Had uterus removed davinci in 2015.  Was in hospital overnight.  5 half inch slits that were glued shut.  No pain at all.  Was told to take it easy for a month, no driving, etc.  I felt fine and had to remind myself to take it easy.