Honored Contributor

crocheting and wrist pain - advice please

I've been learning to crochet and I'm enjoying it so much. I spend lots of time with my oldsters and waiting in doctor offices  - it's wonderful to have a portable hobby to pass the time.

However, after only six months of crocheting I've developed pain in my right hand, wrist and arm.  I'm wondering if anyone here has had the problem and solved it.  I browsed online for ergonomic crochet hooks, but I haven't found anything that looks like it will help.

If anyone has insight or advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: crocheting and wrist pain - advice please

I am a new knitter! Have you tried those tight gloves that they sell? I don't have a link but I think I've seen them at Nancy's Notions. I switch from needles to loom knitting-it gives my hands a different work out.

Honored Contributor

No, Lacey, this is the first I've heard of them. I'll do some research.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

No, Lacey, this is the first I've heard of them. I'll do some research.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Not fond of the term "oldsters" how about parents!

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Not fond of the term "oldsters" how about parents!

Please accept my apology.  My DH and I are their sole caretakers and we use the term affectionately. No offense intended.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Lacey1

Thanks for responding. I didn't realize that those hooks with the handles were for ergonomic reasons. I thought it was just a preference of some crocheters. I'm going to start there.  If that doesn't help, I will order a pair of gloves.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Good for you HouseCat! I taught myself how to crochet and knit many years ago, out of a book.  The great thing is that there are so many free patterns on the Internet these days.

Just a suggestion, but I would massage, or have someone massage your hand, forearm and upper arm.  Daily if possible.  Put on cold, then heat if it feels good to your arm.  I use a keyboard a lot and this feels so good when my hand and forearm get massaged.  I think it is beneficial to get the tension in the muscles broken up a bit and able to deal with any overuse.

Happy knitting and crocheting!

Respected Contributor

I am an avid knitter and crocher.  I think it may be the way you position your arms. I knit at a yarn shop and the owner once had a physical therapist talk to us about correct arm position. I crocher with my elbows at my side Md my arms at about a 60 degree angle with my work in my lap. A lot of beginners tend to hold the yarn and hook too high that puts strain on ones wrists and hands.  

I have rheumatoid arthritis but manage to avoid hand amend arm pain. I do not know how long you crochet at a time but the pt person suggested not working for more than 30 minutes without a break.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Yikes...my stupid spell check substituted an unknown word for crochet. 

Respected Contributor

@house_cat  If I were you I would go to my local drug store and buy a wrist support,  I think they have them with the velcro closure; it's a short ace-type wrap that goes around your wrist.  You just may need some support.