Esteemed Contributor

I've told this story here before.Was talking to the Dr, anesthesiologist, nurse and my sister. Was wheeled into another room for the procedure. When I woke up, the same  group of people were there. I asked the Dr if he changed his mind about doing the procedure and they all started laughing.

He told me it was over and that everything was fine. It's as if no time had passed. Due for one May of next year and looking forward to it.

Respected Contributor

@Q-Checker wrote:

If someone does not have a doctor, they likely are taking a large risk by foregoing medical care. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it sounds like you haven't tried to find a doctor, these days, that is taking new patients. It's a nightmare. My own primary care doctor is leaving and if you aren't already on her roster, cross your fingers and say a prayer because the the doctor that's replacing her isn't accepting new patients till January. Don't blame patients for the fact that it's just about impossible to find a primary care doctor.

I guess that a temporary solution to this situation is to go to a stand-alone medical facility.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of this. A prep that you don't drink as much? Drink what exactly? What is the prep for this low dose?

I don't know how you can even think about not drinking a proper prep to expel EVERYTHING in your entire system for total cleanliness.

I can tell you if you are not totally clean your Dr will tell you so afterwards, you'll get a 'fair' report vs100% good to go.Your Dr will also tell you because of that, he'll bump up the time frame between having this test done again. 

Yes, trust me this can happen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@marip wrote:

This time for my colonscopy procedure I was thinking doing a low volume prep and for the procedure having it done without being sedated.  Anyone here had it done like this?

I am aware of the low volume prep, but have not, and would not without sedation because  I have an "allergy" to DISCOMFORT! Yep...I am a chicken <cluck>.😁

I was not aware they would even perform it without some form of sedation because of the cramping you would likely experience.🤔

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I've told this story here before.Was talking to the Dr, anesthesiologist, nurse and my sister. Was wheeled into another room for the procedure. When I woke up, the same  group of people were there. I asked the Dr if he changed his mind about doing the procedure and they all started laughing.

He told me it was over and that everything was fine. It's as if no time had passed. Due for one May of next year and looking forward to it.

Love this story.  Reminds me of the scene from The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy wakes up after being conked out and she sees all the same people, although they were in their real life characters as opposed to the ones she met on the way to Oz. 😀 @Sage04 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Re: colonoscopy

[ Edited ]

When I went for my first consultation in 2005, first thing I said to my gastro doc was that if you tell me I have to drink a gallon of anything I am outta here ! He laughed and said that is old school and he does not prescribe that. 

Respected Contributor

I did it this summer and had one of the split dose lower volume preps.  However, it was still really nasty.  I felt like throwing up the first dose, and did several times during the second.  I guess it was better than drinking a gallon but it was still awful.  I can't remember the name right now. 

I also had a concern with the split dose because it required you to get up in the middle of the night (I had an early appointment) to take it.  Then we have to drive about 45 minutes to where the procedure was performed so I was worried I might have an accident on the way.  (I did make it, but had to run to the restroom as soon as we got there.)  Probably too much information, but something to consider with the split dose.

The procedure itself was a breeze as always.  It is the prep that gets you.

Respected Contributor

It's kind of simple.  Stop eating any fiber 4 days before date of colonoscopy and less and less each day of food intake. 

Meaning white bread with butter with and  jam, white pasta, ice cream.  It's not that hard.  

I've never drunk a gallon or could not tolerate it.  With this method, your not even hungry after a few days and I drink half of a miralax prep.  

I've always come out with Doctor getting a good look.

Respected Contributor

When I had my first colonscopy, I used a miralax prep which wasn't bad except for the large volume of water I had to drink.  When I called to schedule my second colonoscopy, I ws told that the miralax prep could not be used and that I would have to use the liquid prep.  I am unable to swallow any liquid that tastes bad.  I put off the test and finally scheduled an appointment with a gastroenterologist at my medical clinic.  Turns out that there are now tablets that can be taken to do the cleanse.  I used them in July and they were very easy.  Have to drink a lot of water but not a big deal. The cleanse worked well and my test was successful.  The propofol sedation is a piece of cake. Asleep before you know it and awake again just as quickly.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Contributor

Birkilady      From what I was reading online the low volume preps clean you out as good as the tradional preps.   I was going to ask my doctor about those preps.  Of course if she doesn;t recommend it I'll go with the tradional ones.