Respected Contributor

classical stretch -Miranda Esmonde White

I borrowed the Fast Track book and tried the beginners routine.  I am in fairly good shape (67) and do Pilates and walk but some of these are difficult for me to do.  My question is:  If you cannot do them as shown, can you modify them so they are comfortable and can you just skip the ones that are really tough to do?  It says to continue doing the routine for 30minutes and then stop whether you finish or not.  Then start over the next day. I did not even get half way through!  It takes some time to learn the moves let alone complete them in the time they recommend. Just wondered what anyone else experienced trying this form of excercise.  Heard so many good things but so far I am not sure...

Super Contributor

Re: classical stretch -Miranda Esmonde White

I bought the season 11 DVDs on Amazon and she definitely says in that series that if you can't do what she is doing then it is ok to do the best you can and work up to the correct way.  I am not familiar with the books.  The videos (at least season 11) are not difficult and they are only 22 minutes each.  I have been doing them for 4 years now.  I go through spurts where I do it more consistently than other times, but I love it.  I run some mornings and do her stuff some mornings.  I feel so much better on the days I do her stretching.  It does not burn many calories but it helps with balance and makes my spine feel great. I call it my "old lady stretches" and my husband hates it when I say that because he says we are not old (early 50's).  But I love knowing that I have a form of gentle exercise that I can do until I die.  I bought a portable dvd player and take it with me when I travel. 

I hope you enjoy the program you are starting.

Esteemed Contributor

I record her shows on PBS. I just do the best I can do  I feel so great afterward even if I can't do it all exactly as she does.

I love her workouts (her daughter has DVDs also) 

Valued Contributor

I bought Season 9 from EBay and really love this set. I do what I can and modify all the moves I can't do.There are some I still can't do with fibromyalgia but it's been great .  I still feel and see results so don't worry about that and start at your own pace. You will benefit from whatever you do!

Respected Contributor

I am interested in this and haven't tried it yet. A question? Does they use music to accompany?  I get super bored without a rhythm...  But it looks great and I'm tempted to try a DVD from Amazon, but I didn't know which one to get! TIA for and suggestions!  

Super Contributor

@Skyegirl21  If you go to her website, you'll find an explanation of each series with recommendations as to where to begin. Some have music, some don't. I'd suggest you play whatever music you like along with the video!

Respected Contributor

Thanks icd55! Stay well!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

you might be able to check out dvd's from the library, before you purchase.

Super Contributor

@Skyegirl21  Have you checked your local PBS station for her classical stretch shows?   I'm a big proponent of her program, but it took me a long time to adjust to Miranda and her style of exercise.  It was initally much to slow and I hated a lot of her music.  Also, her cuing is almost nonexistent.  I quickly learned to appreciate Miranda and her exercises after I developed osteoarthritis in my hip.  Her exercises are better than PT and the chiro.   Once you get used to doing the exercises, I would recommend all of her instructors.  They are all excellent, and gives you a good variety of styles and music.

Honored Contributor

I've been doing Classical Stretch for several months now and there are still some exercises I can only do once. I let ol Miranda do the second or third set of reps while I wait, getting my breath back. Others I can't do nearly as deeply as she does. It's perfectly fine to not be able to do everything. Just making the attempt will strengthen the muscles so you will eventually be able to do them.

I used to not be able to do the clocks and side lunges very well. But over time I have become able to do them. Even so, I stop when she goes into extended repetitions. It's too much at this point, but a few months from now, who knows? I'd be thrilled If I could do all of them with perfect form.

I'd say don't skip anything unless it hurts to even try or if you are too tired and need to catch your breath. Just, how to put it...half &*^& it, if you know what I mean. Do it half heartedly like a kid at the back of the gymnasium who is faking doing an exercise during gym class.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr