Contributor

Re: call back for more views on mammogram...

On 1/11/2015 seagrl21 said:

I just got called back from my first Mammogram and they can't see me until 2 weeks. So have 2 weeks before I even find out whats going on. Stressed over it because I'm the process of other life changes. Will say this I have good insurance for the first time in my life, thanks to the affordable care act aka Obamacare. So I have to get caught up on many medical exams I couldn't previously afford or insurance didn't cover. It's making me a nervous wreck though because call backs are never assuring. Reading some of the replies has actually helped with the anxiety. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & hope everything turns out OK OP.

Seagrl, I'm sorry this is happening for you. I'll be thinking of you as you go through this. I focus on being positive, but afford myself about 24 hour pity party at each step.. next pity party scheduled for Wednesday (biopsy). I truly adore my doctor but I have been going to the imaging place directly and picking up my reports... it has helped to know the facts. I hope that may help you. And thanks to all the very special ladies here who have helped me.
Super Contributor

On 1/11/2015 maplecrazed said:

I just got called back from my first Mammogram and they can't see me until 2 weeks. So have 2 weeks before I even find out whats going on. Stressed over it because I'm the process of other life changes. Will say this I have good insurance for the first time in my life, thanks to the affordable care act aka Obamacare. So I have to get caught up on many medical exams I couldn't previously afford or insurance didn't cover. It's making me a nervous wreck though because call backs are never assuring. Reading some of the replies has actually helped with the anxiety. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & hope everything turns out OK OP.

Seagrl, I'm sorry this is happening for you. I'll be thinking of you as you go through this. I focus on being positive, but afford myself about 24 hour pity party at each step.. next pity party scheduled for Wednesday (biopsy). I truly adore my doctor but I have been going to the imaging place directly and picking up my reports... it has helped to know the facts. I hope that may help you. And thanks to all the very special ladies here who have helped me.
maplecrazed---will be thinking of you and wishing you peace and calming. Please keep us posted as you feel able. Many blessings to you!
Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 SunValley said:
On 12/31/2014 mineralgirl1 said: I am married to a physician. This is very common, it has happened to me. Most times, it is nothing. With malpractice issues today, they cover themselves . I would say make sure your insurance will pay for the extra views. Because of Obamacare, many are being denied.
Another perspective; I too got the callback message and thanks to Obamacare my total expenses of well over $125,000 were covered including many extra views and tests and not denied as they would have been prior to 2014 as preexisting condition (straight from the billing departmen when we discussed coverage). Ladies get your mammograms yearly. It saved my life.
I agree! And get it annually, not 18 mos.! A mammogram saved my life as well,mainly because I had it when I was supposed to. The lump that was not there the year before, was removed before it became any larger and was Stage 1 instead of worse. And for those who blame Obamacare for everything, you choose your plan and what it pays for. Most insurance never did, and still doesn't, pay for everything, there were always deductibles and copays. But thank goodness many can now afford insurance, even if it's not the premium plan, and conditions that wouldn't have been paid for because they were pre-existing, are now covered.
Super Contributor

How are you doing, maplecrazed? Have been thinking about you....

Honored Contributor

I've had to do that quite a few times. I have a lot of friends who've been called back. Be glad they are thorough enough that they want to check things out.

In life, there are way too many things that you know about to worry about. My Grandma used to say, "Don't borrow trouble".

Don't start worrying yet. Even then, listen and learn. Take it easy until you hear what they are watching.

Respected Contributor

When I had my mammogram in December 2012, all looked clear but my Dr. wanted me to go back for an ultrasound. When I had my mammogram in December 2013, my Dr. saw something that she didn't like. I had the ultrasound while I was still in the office. Was then sent for a needle biopsy which revealed that I had a small malignant tumor in my right breast. It was a lump that I did not even feel during my monthly breast exams. Got that news on New Year's Eve in December 2012. Had a lumpectomy in January 2013 followed by one week of radiation therapy using a SAVI device. I could not be more grateful to all of the Dr.'s that worked with me through that period. I have been 100% clear since January 2013 and look forward to no further problems in the coming years I now have a mammogram on my right breast every 6 months and a bilateral mammogram every 12 months. Those few months were a very difficult period in my life but I survived with positive thinking and support from friends and family.

My radiologist saved my life and made my cancer journey much easier by finding that tumor very early. I can never thank her enough. I had fabulous Dr.'s and wonderful care during my entire period of surgery and treatment following my lumpectomy. This was a journey that I never wished to have. But, I am grateful that it was so much easier than I expected.

In the meantime, don't worry while you wait for your appointment. I had three benign tumors removed over the years before they found the cancer. I was on HRT for 15 years before the cancer showed up and I am sure that the HRT was the cause. The diagnosis and care available now is so much better than I had in 1979 when my first tumor was found. I promise to be here for you if you get anything concerning during your next visit. Don't worry until you have news of what they have seen. Thinking of you and wishing you good news during your next visit. I will watch for your news.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Valued Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Sunshine Kate said:
On 1/7/2015 gemologygal said:
On 1/6/2015 maplecrazed said:
On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
How did it go??

I have to return in 6 months for another set of scans because they spotted a white area on the second mammogram that appeared flattened but when they performed the ultrasound, it didn't show up. The doctor said that it isn't a huge concern at this time but they do want to monitor what this possibly is and if it changes in size or shape, to then do additional testing like a biopsy. He stressed to me to not lose sleep over this and to reach out to them sooner than the 6 months if I notice any pain (aside from my regular monthly PMS tenderness) in that area.

Maplecrazed, I am continuing to think of you and will be sending well wishes your way. Know that you have a virtual hug from me.

I'm surprised you had your first mammogram at age 37. You must have been having problems.

Mammograms usually don't start until age 40 and I think they've changed that to a bit later.

Good luck to you.

Not unusual. My gyn sent me for a baseline mammogram at 35. We learned that my breast tissue was too dense for a standard mammogram to read effectively. Starting at 40, I had comprehensive mammograms, and now 3D.
Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 maplecrazed said:

Thank you for your kind words. Hope everything goes well for you & please let us know how it all turns out. mine is scheduled for next week Wednesday. The facts do give a lot of comfort. Blessings to you
Contributor

Good news! It's fibrous. I imagine I'll end up on the popular 6 month plan. Thank you, everyone. And I'm holding up good feelings for your appointment, seagirl.
Super Contributor

On 1/18/2015 maplecrazed said: Good news! It's fibrous. I imagine I'll end up on the popular 6 month plan. Thank you, everyone. And I'm holding up good feelings for your appointment, seagirl.

Wonderful! Thanks for the update. I was called back too once and had to wait. Had something to do with their difficulty imaging one part of the breast. Enjoy the freedom from worry.