Respected Contributor

Re: call back for more views on mammogram...

On 1/7/2015 gemologygal said:
On 1/6/2015 maplecrazed said:
On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
How did it go??

I have to return in 6 months for another set of scans because they spotted a white area on the second mammogram that appeared flattened but when they performed the ultrasound, it didn't show up. The doctor said that it isn't a huge concern at this time but they do want to monitor what this possibly is and if it changes in size or shape, to then do additional testing like a biopsy. He stressed to me to not lose sleep over this and to reach out to them sooner than the 6 months if I notice any pain (aside from my regular monthly PMS tenderness) in that area.

Maplecrazed, I am continuing to think of you and will be sending well wishes your way. Know that you have a virtual hug from me.

I'm surprised you had your first mammogram at age 37. You must have been having problems.

Mammograms usually don't start until age 40 and I think they've changed that to a bit later.

Good luck to you.

Contributor

On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
How did it go??

I have to return in 6 months for another set of scans because they spotted a white area on the second mammogram that appeared flattened but when they performed the ultrasound, it didn't show up. The doctor said that it isn't a huge concern at this time but they do want to monitor what this possibly is and if it changes in size or shape, to then do additional testing like a biopsy. He stressed to me to not lose sleep over this and to reach out to them sooner than the 6 months if I notice any pain (aside from my regular monthly PMS tenderness) in that area.

Maplecrazed, I am continuing to think of you and will be sending well wishes your way. Know that you have a virtual hug from me.

thanks Gemologygal! My u/s is sending me to biopsy. The tech really tried to assure me not to be worried... too late! I do suspect that this will end up fine and this feeling is just reaction and I'll be fine.

I'll check in with you again!!!

Cheryl

Trusted Contributor

maplecrazed ~ so glad you posted.........have been thinking of you! HUGS to you!
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Sunshine Kate said:
How did it go??

I'm surprised you had your first mammogram at age 37. You must have been having problems.

Mammograms usually don't start until age 40 and I think they've changed that to a bit later.

Good luck to you.

Regular mammograms start at 40, but it's typical for a baseline to be done between 35-40 so that later annual mammograms can be compared to it. My doctor mentioned it to me each year at my appt from 35 on, I had it done at 38, and my insurance paid for it without any issues.

Good luck to both gemologygal and maplecrazed, lots of positive, "it's nothing" thoughts being sent your ways!

Honored Contributor

They usually begin at 40 since breast tissue under 40 is too dense to see much on a xray. Base lines at 35 were popular years ago, but not now.

Respected Contributor

Please keep us informed, ladies Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

On 12/31/2014 mineralgirl1 said: I am married to a physician. This is very common, it has happened to me. Most times, it is nothing. With malpractice issues today, they cover themselves . I would say make sure your insurance will pay for the extra views. Because of Obamacare, many are being denied.
Another perspective; I too got the callback message and thanks to Obamacare my total expenses of well over $125,000 were covered including many extra views and tests and not denied as they would have been prior to 2014 as preexisting condition (straight from the billing departmen when we discussed coverage). Ladies get your mammograms yearly. It saved my life.
Honored Contributor

I have been called back many times and have had several different procedures, so far I have been lucky....cancer free. Try not to worry.

Valued Contributor

I just got called back from my first Mammogram and they can't see me until 2 weeks. So have 2 weeks before I even find out whats going on. Stressed over it because I'm the process of other life changes. Will say this I have good insurance for the first time in my life, thanks to the affordable care act aka Obamacare. So I have to get caught up on many medical exams I couldn't previously afford or insurance didn't cover. It's making me a nervous wreck though because call backs are never assuring. Reading some of the replies has actually helped with the anxiety. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & hope everything turns out OK OP.

Super Contributor

On 1/11/2015 seagrl21 said:

I just got called back from my first Mammogram and they can't see me until 2 weeks. So have 2 weeks before I even find out whats going on. Stressed over it because I'm the process of other life changes. Will say this I have good insurance for the first time in my life, thanks to the affordable care act aka Obamacare. So I have to get caught up on many medical exams I couldn't previously afford or insurance didn't cover. It's making me a nervous wreck though because call backs are never assuring. Reading some of the replies has actually helped with the anxiety. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories & hope everything turns out OK OP.

Best wishes to you, seagrl21--I do understand how you must be feeling. I am always grateful that everything turned out well for me when I went through a callback, ultrasound, and biopsy. Just last week I finished paying off the amount insurance didn't cover and was once again reminded of all the blessings in addition to my health (such as having insurance, the offer to set up payments for my portion due). One day at a time helps me so much: will be thinking of you!