Trusted Contributor

Re: call back for more views on mammogram...

On 1/1/2015 maplecrazed said:
On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
We can hold hands thru this! I'll be thinking of you as we travel thru these tests together. Cheryl.
To both of you, try to take one day at a time. Call backs are very common, especially if it's your first - they are just trying to establish an accurate baseline. If your worst fears end up to be realized, you can take comfort that the mammogram did what it was supposed to do, and then you'll deal with it. I'm a 10 year survivor, found on a mammogram, and sooooo thankful that it was! They got it early, it was not there the year before, so now I am a strong advocate for annual mammograms! Good luck to both of you!
Valued Contributor

Congratulations lizzief on being a ten year cancer survivor! I hope I can say the same in ten years. My mammogram also found my tumor. You are right the mammogram did exactly what it was intended to do. Early detection is best! I learned I am a lot stronger than I realized. Yes it's tough. You will deal with whatever comes your way. Lean on family,friends and listen to courageous ladies like lizzief!
Trusted Contributor

On 1/2/2015 embgm said: Congratulations lizzief on being a ten year cancer survivor! I hope I can say the same in ten years. My mammogram also found my tumor. You are right the mammogram did exactly what it was intended to do. Early detection is best! I learned I am a lot stronger than I realized. Yes it's tough. You will deal with whatever comes your way. Lean on family,friends and listen to courageous ladies like lizzief!
Thank you! I just want to stress exactly what you said - "you are a lot stronger than you realize!" After the initial shock, it's "ok, now how do I fight this." Early detection IS the key. Em, you'll get there, and so have millions of others, thanks to the advances in detection and treatment we have these days. No picnic for sure, but as my surgeon so eloquently said, "you go through some sh&t and then you'll be fine!" Cheryl and Gemologygirl, hang in there, keep us posted please. As I said, hopefully the callbacks were just routine, you'll hold your breath for a few more days, and everything will be ok for both of you!
Contributor

On 1/1/2015 lizzief said:
On 1/1/2015 maplecrazed said:
On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
We can hold hands thru this! I'll be thinking of you as we travel thru these tests together. Cheryl.
To both of you, try to take one day at a time. Call backs are very common, especially if it's your first - they are just trying to establish an accurate baseline. If your worst fears end up to be realized, you can take comfort that the mammogram did what it was supposed to do, and then you'll deal with it. I'm a 10 year survivor, found on a mammogram, and sooooo thankful that it was! They got it early, it was not there the year before, so now I am a strong advocate for annual mammograms! Good luck to both of you!

Lizzief I am really grateful for your thoughts words of encouragement--thank you! That is great news about you being a 10 year survivor and it warms my heart to know there is a lot of love and hope out there.

Trusted Contributor

maplecrazed and gemologygal ~ please know you have many prayers and positive thoughts coming your way ~

I am thankful you both had your mammos! As others have said, the test has done what it's supposed to do. While this waiting time is H*LL , you WILL get through this.

Again, as was mentioned earlier, please lean on others for strength, courage and energy!

Will be thinking of you both and looking forward to hearing how you're doing ~

Contributor

DON'T PANIC! You may have moved or breathed ever so slightly, causing a shadow on the film. The tech could have done something to mess up a picture. If you read the sign where you get your little cape, it says that many times women are called back for further testing, and Not To Panic! Hope everything turns out great for you.

Respected Contributor

On 1/2/2015 lizzief said:
On 1/2/2015 embgm said: Congratulations lizzief on being a ten year cancer survivor! I hope I can say the same in ten years. My mammogram also found my tumor. You are right the mammogram did exactly what it was intended to do. Early detection is best! I learned I am a lot stronger than I realized. Yes it's tough. You will deal with whatever comes your way. Lean on family,friends and listen to courageous ladies like lizzief!
Thank you! I just want to stress exactly what you said - "you are a lot stronger than you realize!" After the initial shock, it's "ok, now how do I fight this." Early detection IS the key. Em, you'll get there, and so have millions of others, thanks to the advances in detection and treatment we have these days. No picnic for sure, but as my surgeon so eloquently said, "you go through some sh&t and then you'll be fine!" Cheryl and Gemologygirl, hang in there, keep us posted please. As I said, hopefully the callbacks were just routine, you'll hold your breath for a few more days, and everything will be ok for both of you!

That's "eloquently" said? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2014 maplecrazed said: Update: the additional view is an ultrasound. There is a lump 30 mm in size. Gulp.
I had a lump the size of a quarter removed two years ago. Scary yes. It wasn't cancer. No radiation after. Just a gap in my boob.
Contributor

How did it go??
Contributor

On 1/6/2015 maplecrazed said:
How did it go??

I have to return in 6 months for another set of scans because they spotted a white area on the second mammogram that appeared flattened but when they performed the ultrasound, it didn't show up. The doctor said that it isn't a huge concern at this time but they do want to monitor what this possibly is and if it changes in size or shape, to then do additional testing like a biopsy. He stressed to me to not lose sleep over this and to reach out to them sooner than the 6 months if I notice any pain (aside from my regular monthly PMS tenderness) in that area.

Maplecrazed, I am continuing to think of you and will be sending well wishes your way. Know that you have a virtual hug from me.