Occasional Contributor

Re: call back for more views on mammogram...

I just went thru this in Sept. I turned 40, Dr ordered my first mamo. I had the 3d mammogram. They said they would cAll if any issues. The tech told me very common to get call backs so don't worry. Well I got a callback on my way home in car! Thank God my husband was driving or I probably would've drove off the road. She said they wanted me to come back in two days for diagnostic mamo and possibly ultrasound. Said I had dense tissue, and some areas they could not see . I would get results right there. I had to wait 2 dAys to go back. I wanted to go right back then and there but they couldn't take me till the day after next. It was awful. I clearly thought I was dying. When I did go back they did the diagnostic then said they want to do the ultrasound, then dr would come in and talk to me and husband. I really felt like I was going to faint, no words of comfort from anyone were helping me, I thought surely I was going to be the one exception where they found cancer. Dr came in, explained everything was normal, just some cysts, and dense tissue. I of course asked, can you tell it is cyst and not tumor? He said yes, that is why they do the ultrasound. Looking back,everything does go fast. They do move very quickly on breast issues.. because they know time is of the essence. So just because they did find something, further tests can confirm it is nothing. Everyone who has had a callback knows exactly what you are going thru. I did vow to myself years ago after a callback from a pap, that I would always schedule important tests on a Monday, if possible, and never around a holiday, to hopefully lessen my wait period for results and not have to wait over a weekend or holiday. I hope it turns out ok for you. And try not to worry, easier said then done, it probably will not be anything, the doctors today are just very through especially when it comes to mamos. God bless you and I hope you can put your mind at ease by tomorrow.
Valued Contributor

Maplecrazed, In October I had a lumpectomy and am currently having daily radiation therapy so I know exactly how you are feeling. After the initial 2 biopsies and mri I had 4 more dye imaging mri guided biopsies in my right breast. Out of the six biopsies only one was cancerous. The odds are with you! Most biopsy results are negative. My advice is to take one day at a time and one test at a time. Otherwise it can be very overwhelming. Good luck and keep us posted! I will keep you in my prayers.
Honored Contributor

No, you shouldn't be worried. I got a call back too and had to do an ultrasound due to something they saw on my mammo (the 3D one). The radiologist explained that since the technology is so much better than it use to be, they can see even the tiniest of things. That is good on the one hand- if you catch it early enough, you have a higher probability of beating it- but on the other hand, it causes undo worry for those getting call backs, especially when the majority of them are not cancer.

Contributor

This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
Contributor

I appreciate each and every response and each and everyone of you. I had no idea that this is so common. It does make a gal rest easier. I'm doing well staying out of my own head and taking all the advise here. This is an amazing group of extraordinary, supportive women. I am grateful and thankful to all of you.
Contributor

On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
We can hold hands thru this! I'll be thinking of you as we travel thru these tests together. Cheryl.
Respected Contributor

I personally know many women who have regular mamograms ( or maybe not so regular) and everyone has a story to tell of the time or two (or in my sister's case every 6 mos) when they got 'that call'. It is the rare woman who doesn't it seems to me.

Valued Contributor

I have annual mammograms, and it seems like I have to go back for additional views every other year. I just went back or more views two weeks ago. It's very hard to not be worried or scared, but each time I've gone back, I've been fine. (Thank God!) Each time I go back, they give me the results before I leave, as well. I hope everything goes well for you! Take care.

Contributor

On 1/1/2015 maplecrazed said:
On 1/1/2015 gemologygal said: This thread couldn't be more timely. First off, hugs and well wishes to everyone posting. I had my very first mammogram on 12/29/14 and got a call back on the 31st (yesterday). The nurse told me to come back for another mammogram and ultrasound because of assymetrical density in my right breast. I cried scared all morning. I'm 37, no children, and every panicked thought ran through my mind, mostly about how much more I want to do in life, including being a mom. I go back on 1/6 for the additional testing and hope for the best. My husband says that technology is so advanced these days and we will get through anything. From what I keep reading, call backs are common and densities too but it still leaves me worried nonetheless.
We can hold hands thru this! I'll be thinking of you as we travel thru these tests together. Cheryl.
Thank you Cheryl!
Super Contributor

On 1/1/2015 maplecrazed said:
Positive thoughts and many prayers coming your way!