Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

At almost 78, I have the best Dexa scan readings of all my PCP's patients.  I do not drink milk, eat yogurt or cheese.

I take Citracal 600mg...but only the Timed Release version as the regular will just be eliminated by the body after it uses what is needed.  The timed version literally releases the supplement over time so more of it gets absorbed.  I take the pill at night after a late dinner.

Reasonably priced....WalMart.  Our BJ's doesn't carry the Timed Release version.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

I was diagnosed with osteopenia and told to supplement vitamin D and eat calcium-rich foods dairy, dark leafy greens, fish like sardines (I love them!)

@Thats Me Another sardine lover here!  I got some once that were in curry now I can't find them, but sometimes shake some on if I remember.  I find good ones on Amazon, many from the Mediterranean areas.

I think they are greatly enhanced too by Frank's Hot Sauce!  Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner @Hi Sooner I like the Wild Planet ones and have bought from Amazon and Vitacost. Like all the varieties but I've never seen them with curry! Yum!

Trusted Contributor

I, also, love sardines, and they are good for you.  I buy the ones in glass jars at World Market.  I cannot eat them in front of my SO as he thinks they're disgusting.  I will usually have them for lunch with water crackers.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

What calcium is best to take?  I looked at Lessman but so very expensive.  I usually use Nature's Way.  Is calcium citrate preferred?

@bargainsgirl   You should first know what your calcium level is via a blood test.  It may be normal, in which case you may not need to supplement.

If you are taking other supplements, be sure to count the calcium mgs. in them.  Lessman puts calcium in practically every one of his supplements, and I, not realizing this, went merrily along, in addition to drinking three cups of nonfat milk daily in mugs of tea.  My level went way up, so I went down to only one cup of milk a day, and some supplements I take every other day if they are high in calcium.  My level is now almost normal.

Honored Contributor

My bottle of calcium carbonate is almost empty, I may be switching to coral calcium. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My bottle of calcium carbonate is almost empty, I may be switching to coral calcium. 

Question .....

Which calcium is most easily absorbed by the body?

I recall reading years ago that people should never consume Tums as a calcium source because it isn't absorbed, at all.  Then I later read that it has to be taken with food because it needs acid to dissolve and be absorbed.   Taking Tums between meals is practically useless.

Personally, I think getting calcium from a variety of sources is the best way to go.