Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@violann wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Calories in, calories out. No matter what you eat....that is what it comes down to.  Measuring and  portion control. Count your calories.

Nope, at least not according to current science,

Weight management is FAR more complex than this statement, and the posts in this thread indicate this.

If "calories in, calories out" worked fo everyone, no one on earth would be overweigt.

@violann

Science is ever changing. What is THE latest today more than likely will not be the same maybe next month. 

So true.

last years best practices are many times peoples worst nightmares

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of mixed messages about coconut oils.  I think there is where I would start.  Perhaps eliminating them and see what happens.  My hubby is a health nut and a medical professional. and he will not let the coconut oil in the house

Respected Contributor

I have had life-long problems with carbs and.went on and off low carb diets for years-Atkins type: cheese, nuts, meat-even using ketone test strips. Over time, I gained fifty pounds and developed Type II Diabetes.....I didn't think a "balanced" diet with carbs could possibly work, and was out to prove my doctor wrong, but week by week, my glucose went down and the pounds came off. Other than green leafy vegetables, there are limits for me where other food groups are concerned. There are no "miracle" foods out there and calories DO count. You can enjoy great, fresh whole foods and a wide variety of carbs-even chocolate-and you can enjoy some fats: I go for the monounsaturated variety-but there are limits.

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@violann wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Calories in, calories out. No matter what you eat....that is what it comes down to.  Measuring and  portion control. Count your calories.

Weight management is FAR more complex than this statement, and the posts in this thread indicate this.

If "calories in, calories out" worked fo everyone, no one on earth would be overweigt.

@violann

Science is ever changing. What is THE latest today more than likely will not be the same maybe next month. 

What DOES NOT change is the way each individual's reacts to what that body takes to function, both physically and mentally. To ascribe the same specifics to each individual's body, as we know, does not always work. As for "Science"? It only relays findings, not one's potential personal results?

Ever see pictures or video of WWII POW'S?  If your answer is yes, it is quite apparent that how much one eats DOES effect ones body's ability to lose weight via food intake. Does losing that weight make them or keep them healthy? Simplified, eat much, much, much, much less food and weight WILL BE lost. We do not need expensive science studies to come to that conclusion, it is FACT?

While I agree losing weight(body fat) is different and more complex for many. Lost in these complexities is each individual finding out, through trial and error, done at 100% effort, to find out what works best for them. Not just to lose " Scale number weight", but to lose "Body Fat Weight". Who has a goal of losing muscle tissue? Most that lose weight strictly via dietary changes, lose more muscle than fat?

I could go on and on another on with this Science versus Personal " Trial and Error" methodology of how to lose real "body fat weight", but few here have probably made it this far in yet another one of my novela's.

hckynut(john)

EXCELLENT points. One must eat LESS to lose weight, eat healthy, and exercise.

Regular Contributor

@violann wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Women carry and lose weight differently from men, some people lose weight as vegans/vegetarians, some succeed by eliminating all simple carbs, some are totally successful with Weight Watchers, some find that program to be unsuccessful.

Amen @violann! Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

@violann wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Women carry and lose weight differently from men, some people lose weight as vegans/vegetarians, some succeed by eliminating all simple carbs, some are totally successful with Weight Watchers, some find that program to be unsuccessful.

You're correct @violann.

Honored Contributor

I am certainly not implying that calorie reduction/expenditure is related to weight loss.

My point is that the jump from "calories in/calories expended" can quickly become "if you're not doing what I say worked for me, (or my sister-in-law, or the guy at the gym, or somebody I saw in a magazine) you're wrong", And that, sadly, is not true.

Honored Contributor

@abigailsmom   you still need to look at portion control and calories... too much healthy food will make you just a fat as too much junk food.

Honored Contributor

Appears the author of this thread has gotten their answer. Plenty to choose from in these posts. Pretty much said what I know what has worked for me, and countless others, that have as their main interest, fat loss, that is for life.

I'm out.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Last September I was watching HSN and the chef Lorena Garcia was on selling one of her products and the host told her that it would help her with her diet.  Lorena turned to her and said never diet, it's not what you ear but how much you eat.  That stuck in my head and I started following her advice and have lost 75 pounds without feeling starved.