Respected Contributor

Has anyone done an at-home covid test? do you find out right away and do you think they are accurate? just saw them at CVS and i'm not sure i would trust results. thanks all.

Super Contributor

Re: at-home covid test

[ Edited ]

My kids live in nyc and use Binax at home covid text on a weekly basis,  It is the same rapid test given at health care facilities and results are ready in 15 minutes.  While rapid tests can produce false neg. and positive results they are good indicators.  You should always follow up with a PCR if you test positive.

Honored Contributor

@tessam wrote:

My kids live in nyc and use Binax at home covid text on a weekly basis,  It is the same rapid test given at health care facilities and results are ready in 15 minutes.  While rapid tests can produce false neg. and positive results they are good indicators.  You sjould always follow up with a PCR if you test positive.

@tessam 

PCR ?

Super Contributor

The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for COVID-19 is a molecular test that analyzes your upper respiratory specimen, looking for genetic material (ribonucleic acid or RNA) of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Scientists use the PCR technology to amplify small amounts of RNA from specimens into deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), which is replicated until SARS-CoV-2 is detectable if present. The PCR test has been the gold standard test for diagnosing COVID-and is only administered at health care facility

Respected Contributor

@tessam If they produce false negative & positive results, why would you take them. Either way you couldn't trust the result.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tessam Thank you for that awesome level of detail.  I learned something today

Also, I spoke with someone today who told me he got two negative rapid tests just before ending up in the hospital with COVID a year ago today.  His story was enough to give me concerns about the reliability of the rapid tests.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eaesquire 

Yes, there are Error rates with both types of covid tests. Also, it depends on the quality of  the specimen submitted. If a healthcare worker does not swab your nasal area properly than the  quality of the specimen will be worthless.

Health care staff need to look at the patient  and look at the symptoms  and Not just rely on  test kits that have error rates . People with covid symptoms need to  seek medical care  without delay as there are therapeutics that can be administered  such as monoclonal antibodies early on. There's also other therapeutics such as others waiting for FDA approval. From my experience you need to be your own advocate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have used them.  The results are there in a about 15 minutes.  A friend I visit twice a week in a nursing facility tested positive the day after I visited her.

I bought 2 boxes with two tests in each box.  I and my husband both tested negative.

I gave one to a friend to try. He tested positive.

He called his family doctor who did a test in the parking lot of his office and test showed that he was indeed positive.  He was unvaccinated and had no symptoms.  The doctors advised him to quarantine  for 14 days which he did.

I bought two more boxes with two tests in the box, so I have five  tests if I feel I need them again.  They're difficult to come by.  I got mine at CVS for about $25 a box.

Honored Contributor

At-home tests are not available here. My friend went searching for one three days ago for her elderly mom and had to drive 150+ miles to get one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart 

Labcorp  website  has some you can order online & sent to your home. You can have your health insurance or Medicare pay for them