Honored Contributor

Re: are people going to the gym right now with the Covid pandemic

With the new mutated versions of COVID showing up in more states (just takes 5 minutes exposure to get it), including mine, I don’t feel safe going to work. Can’t imagine willingly risking exposure by going to the gym or anywhere else I don’t have to go. 

Sadly, I’m in Florida and no masks or anything else is required here. People seem to think COVID doesn’t exist or that they are “special” and won’t get it. They obviously don’t care about anyone else.

Who knows what we will learn about COVID next week or what new mutations can do. 

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

With the new mutated versions of COVID showing up in more states (just takes 5 minutes exposure to get it), including mine, I don’t feel safe going to work. Can’t imagine willingly risking exposure by going to the gym or anywhere else I don’t have to go. 

Sadly, I’m in Florida and no masks or anything else is required here. People seem to think COVID doesn’t exist or that they are “special” and won’t get it. They obviously don’t care about anyone else.

Who knows what we will learn about COVID next week or what new mutations can do. 

I agree with you 100% , There are some things we need to do , work and maybe going for groceries or essentials , but working out in a gym is not worth it. Can you imagine getting Covid over such a non essential activity , when there is so much we can do at home  And i am not even being an alarmist , just using common sense.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the first time in my adult life that I am not working out every day. My classes at the Y are canceled and I have no desire to take my chances with the machines. I bought a recumbent bicycle but have not yet used it.  I used to figure skate, play tennis, and go to aerobics. Now I am just a slug.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

"They obviously don’t care about anyone else".

@willdob3 

Just had to throw that in didn't ya?  Yep, we are all egocentrics. Different thoughts/different actions, yep it's my fault! All of us egocentric excuses of a human being. That's what you think, hey run with it! Seems to be your "feel good" thing.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Contributor

Yes...I go to the gym 4 X's a week.  Do you grocery shop or go outside of your home?  I'm just curious about the people who type away  on their computers.  Do you stay home all day?  I have to go to work 5 days a week.  Going to the gym is just another thing.  I am sanitizing my own weights and equipment, wearing a mask while on the elyptical for 20 minutes now.  It was hard at first but you work up to it.  We can do it!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like with most things about Covid 19, it depends on where you live.  In my state fitness centers and gyms are open but only at 25% capacity so that users can keep much distance from each other and so that the workers can disinfect equipment between users.  Hubby and others I know stopped going to them last spring.  Risks are probably low but why take any risk at all when it isn't necessary.  And then there is the mask mandate which must make working out harder.

Trusted Contributor

They recently moved the gym in my town to another section of the buildings to give more room to spread out people.  I was thinking of joining again.  I would certainly go in and observe the situation and how they handle the equipment cleaning.

For those disparaging all those going back, please remember a whole lot of people invest in gym equipment for at home use and they use it for a month or two and then it sits there.  There are people more likely to work out on a regular basis if they go to a gym.  That being said, I doubt there are any gyms out their that are going risk having a "case"  traced back to them.  I understand those that have squeamish feelings, but these guys want to stay in business.  Same with the restaurants.  My husband's nephew has a restaurant in Ohio he has done everything possible and there have been ZERO cases traced back.  And for those scoffing saying these people are lying about it-please.  They are literally shut down and lose eveything if they get a case traced back.  For those on here that have "restrained" their hateful comments, again please.  Just because your risk/fear level is higher there is an entire segment of population that is not anywhere near at high a risk.  Period.  Please let people live their lives.  If you are closed up in your house they are not hurting you.  Seriously.  Also with all the people who openly admit they have gained weight sitting at home, it works in their favor to get healthy since this virus target overweight people.   I realize you want to shame them into being "spreaders" but seriously these people are at a far less risk, and alot have them have been out working since the beginning of this my family included.  We have not missed a beat.  And no that is not for everyone nor am I advocating it.  But for those that get so worked up thinking people going about their lives are killing people and should stay in their homes, just stop.  People need to work.  You want your stuff delivered they need to work.  And they need to stay healthy.  And if they are comfortable going into a gym so be it.  I've been in restaurants and never had a 2nd thought about it.  Yet I have a friend that looked at me when I told her like I now had 3 days to live.  People need to do what is right for them.  You can't make people live by your standards.  Some can't afford it, some have other issues that are really none of your business as to why. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Risks are probably low but why take any risk at all when it isn't necessary?  And then there is the mask mandate which must make working out harder.

@chrystaltree 

"Why take any risk at all if it isn't necessary"?

Risks are part of life for all of us. "Necessary" is a very subjective word. A Cell phone is necessary?  Dolby Surround is necessary? There are endless of examples.

A risk for me to go ice skating? Of course it is, and it has nothing to do with the gift we were sent. It is a risk I am more than ready to take, even now when 75 people are allowed in the facility. Unnecessary? Not for me, but obviously it would be for you, from what you've said here.

The mask mandate? We don't have one here, not that I am aware of anyway. Mandatory entering the ice facility, but not "on or directly around" the ice surface". And you are right, wearing a mask does make "working out harder". I told my story in another post, I think in this same thread. 

I think for hubby, he has made the right choice, for him and for you.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Contributor

Our rec center opened in June and I started going back in July. I've been going twice a week since then and my husband goes 5 days a week. Everything is well spaced out and a mask is required anytime you are not on a piece of equipment. I'm heading there shortly.

Valued Contributor

Ours just opened up last week  -  for very limited services.

My DH went yesterday and felt as though it was very well taken care of as far as distanced and cleanliness, everyone was masked.  

I haven't been yet, it's appt only and I work so have been working out at home since March - yikes!