Contributor

are people going to the gym right now with the Covid pandemic

How safe to people think it is to go to the gym right now because of covid. I have been avoiding, but really want to go back to walking on the treadmill again as it is hard to constently walk outside in the winter. I am scared though. I know that the gym has many precautions and you have to wear a mask, but still don't know if it is safe. 

Thanks,

Mitchell

Frequent Contributor

Re: are people going to the gym right now with the Covid pandemic

My internist told me to suspend PT, which is  a similar environment.  Perhaps it depends on what state you are in, but the virus is definitely spiking here in CA

Honored Contributor

@Mitchell wrote:

How safe to people think it is to go to the gym right now because of covid. I have been avoiding, but really want to go back to walking on the treadmill again as it is hard to constently walk outside in the winter. I am scared though. I know that the gym has many precautions and you have to wear a mask, but still don't know if it is safe. 

Thanks,

Mitchell

@Mitchell 

Out here in CA, a lot of gyms are closed because who wants to be in rooms with people breathing hard and many not wearing masks?   No one was attending when they could, and many were just ordered to close when it got really bad.

I've also read that a lot of people have been working out at home with equipment they had or bought something.   You don't have to go to a gym to exercise.   

If you want to get some exercise and the weather is bad, might there be a mall nearby you could walk laps in?  A large public complex?  A large Walmart or Target?  A park?   

Honored Contributor

I read how so many are still afraid to go anywhere including a quick supermarket visit.  They have everything that they can delivered or do curbside pickup.  Unless one has several health issues I personally can't imagine never going anywhere for so long!  It will be a year soon enough.

So I go out pretty often to various stores and have been going out to restaurants eating outdoors regularly while I still could.  It's much too cold right now.

Yet as comfortable as I was doing all of that I stopped going to the gym in March and have never gone back.  I feel like it's much too risky...people working out are going to be breathing heavily and I really can't imagine working out with a mask!  I find it difficult to have much of a conversation while wearing a mask let alone doing heavy exercise...how does one breathe?

I got myself an exercise bike (one of the cheaper ones that costs less than $200.00) and ride it everyday.  I also have small hand weights and an exercise band that I use...it's not the gym but better than nothing.

Respected Contributor

I miss swimming but am not going near a gym for the foreseeable future.  I have an elliptical and Pilates machine to keep me busy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As with indoor dining and other retail establishments, I think it has to be based upon your personal comfort level.  You can go in and survey the situation and judge compliance  (or non-compliance) and decide.   I have done this with restaurants and have left when uncomfortable. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mitchell wrote:

Thanks,

Mitchell

@Mitchell   Gyms here are busy.  I am going. 

Respected Contributor

No. 

There are lots of walking videos online that you can do without a treadmill.

Walk at Home by Leslie Sansone

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

Esteemed Contributor

The gym where I went never closed when they were supposed too. Local government here said they will not make businesses close. They wear no masks. I will not step foot in a gym. My clothes are shrinking but I'm not doing it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I go every day and rarely see anyone at the gym.  I workout in the lobby, usually by myself, but I see the regulars in the parking lot and everyone is healthy and keeping up with their routines.  In the end, in my opinion, it is up to each of us to protect ourselves.  We know what to do.  At the Y, it is wear a mask, wipe down equpiment before and after use, and keep your distance.  We do not need to open any doors as they open automatically and we can check in by putting our phone under the reader.  I think the people who take water classes are more at risk since keep distance is not as easy and people really sweat in the water classes.  I stay away from them.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!