Respected Contributor

Re: anti vaxxer nurse considers infecting her child with a measles sample

I had chicken pox at age 30. Should my children get the disease, I will not have to worry that I will contract it when caring for them.  To the contrary, I would receive a natural booster of varicella that would quite possibly prevent me from ever developing shingles in the future.   

Adults tend to have more severe expressions of varicella.  I had the worst case of varicella my dermatologist said he had ever seen.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I had chicken pox at age 30. Should my children get the disease, I will not have to worry that I will contract it when caring for them.  To the contrary, I would receive a natural booster of varicella that would quite possibly prevent me from ever developing shingles in the future.   

Adults tend to have more severe expressions of varicella.  I had the worst case of varicella my dermatologist said he had ever seen.

I got it as an adult too. It was horrible. I was covered in those pox, and felt really sick.

Honored Contributor

She might have committed a crime by releasing confidential material

snip

A nurse at a hospital in Texas where a toddler tested positive for measles has been fired after she posted about the diagnosis on an anti-vaccination website, according to hospital officials.

The employee's firing comes just one day after Texas Children's Hospital said it was investigating the incident.

"We were made aware that one of our nurses posted protected health information regarding a patient on social media," the hospital said in a statement Tuesday night. "We take these matters very seriously as the privacy and well-being of our patients is always a top priority. After an internal investigation, this individual is no longer with the organization."

Texas Children's Hospital in Houston said Monday it stopped a nurse from seeing patients after she reportedly posted about a young boy’s condition on an anti-vaccination group on Facebook, according to a statement.

She allegedly wrote about the case on the "Proud Parents of Unvaccinated Children - Texas" Facebook page, which has since been deleted. A concerned parent posted screenshots of the unidentified nurse’s comments on the hospital's Facebook page late Friday.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

My dearly departed MIL suggested this once for one of the DGCs. I know I looked at her oddly when she said it. “Oh, let’s hurry and take ____ down there so they’ll be exposed!”

On a more serious note, the social media debate will continue to be about what is personal communication vs public communication.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Before the measles vaccine, when our neighbors got measles, my father sent me over to their house to get measles. The thought process was that once you had it you would be immune. It was common practice back in the 1960's. I got them, we all did. 

Very true. When a neighbor came down with german measles, my mother sent me over to hopefully catch the disease and develop immunity. This was in the 50's when there were no vaccinations against it.

Regular Contributor

Childhood diseases can have terrible consequences.  Rubella in a pregnant womancan cause the baby to be blind, deaf, or mentally retarded.  My paternal grandparents were deaf after Measles--I'm sure that they would rather have had an immunization if one had existed.  As for polio, don't get me started==I remember the children in iron lungs.  My mother had us at the doctor's office for those shots as soon as they were announced--and I thank God for her good care.  

Regular Contributor

Childhood diseases can have terrible consequences.  Rubella in a pregnant woman can cause the baby to be blind, deaf, or mentally retarded.  My paternal grandparents were deaf after Measles--I'm sure that they would rather have had an immunization if one had existed.  As for polio, don't get me started==I remember the children in iron lungs.  My mother had us at the doctor's office for those shots as soon as they were announced--and I thank God for her good care.  My husband had shingles on his face at age 25, after chickenpox in childhood.  No vaxx available whenwe were children--he could have lost his vision.  I am a registred nurse, and I am grateful for the immunizations that save our children so much suffering.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yes, growing up there was no vaccine, it was better to get the measles as a child than as an adult. I got the measles and chicken pox but not the mumps. It was very contagious and everyone expected to get it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@cherry

My dearly departed MIL suggested this once for one of the DGCs. I know I looked at her oddly when she said it. “Oh, let’s hurry and take ____ down there so they’ll be exposed!”

On a more serious note, the social media debate will continue to be about what is personal communication vs public communication.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no debate about ti.

Anyone with at least half of a functioing brain cell should know that if you post something on the internet, it--and you--are fair game for a tsusami of comment. If it's on-line, don't expect privacy--at all. Even if it's email or a private message, it can be dug up and exposed for all the world to see.

Trusted Contributor

Preach it, sister!