Honored Contributor

anti vaxxer nurse considers infecting her child with a measles sample

[ Edited ]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6106361/Anti-vaxxer-nurse-Texas-suspended-saying-thought-g...

If this turns out to be true she should be fired. Who would want someone this dangerous taking care of them?

Valued Contributor

Re: anti vaxxer nurse considers infecting her child with a measles sample

Years ago I heard people intentionally placing their child in a room with a sick child to have the child come down with the measles or chicken pox or whatever rather than get them the shots to prevent it. I thought it was stupid then and I still think that. Yes, the shots hurt and sometimes the child will get a fever, but to make your child sick on purpose is just cruel.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's not only cruel, it is dangerous..

Trusted Contributor

Obviously she would be fired and she should be brought up on charges.  Also I doubt anyone would want her taking care of them by choice.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in the era where we didn't have shots for all these diseases, and some mothers did put their children in contact with others that had chickenpox because they didn't want the child to get it later in life.  That was supposed to be too dangerous for people.  Some men acquired mumps as adults and then couldn't have children later.  We had smallpox shots and sometimes they caused a scab on the arm and if you bumped it, it could infect and cause a bad fever.  That happened to my son.  It got better but made him very sick. 

Respected Contributor

I am sorry the nurse chose to post her opinions on Facebook, but she is entitled to have those beliefs.  Measles is allegedly a disease of childhood, and children -- not adults-- are meant to experience measles (mumps, chicken pox, and rubella, too) at an early age, so that when they are exposed to those same childhood disease germs as adults, or their very children expose them to those germs, the adults who must take care of their sick children will not contract the disease; they would already be immune to it.  

Additionally, women who give birth pass their own maternal measles antibodies from their prior, natural experience with measles as a child, on to their own baby.  These maternal antibodies to measles pass to their baby through their milk, protecting their baby from measles for several months post birth, at a time when babies are most vulnerable to developing serious complications from the measles virus should they be exposed to it.

The nurse elected not to infect her son, so she did nothing wrong.  Having a thought is not a crime.  If it were, how many of us would be incarcerated?

Honored Contributor

She didn't commit a crime ,but I sure wouldn't want her to nurse me. Anyone that considers spreading a dangerous disease, like measles, isn't someone I trust .

Respected Contributor

Before the measles vaccine, when our neighbors got measles, my father sent me over to their house to get measles. The thought process was that once you had it you would be immune. It was common practice back in the 1960's. I got them, we all did. 

Honored Contributor

People didn't understand back then, how dangerous they were.  

Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I am sorry the nurse chose to post her opinions on Facebook, but she is entitled to have those beliefs.  Measles is allegedly a disease of childhood, and children -- not adults-- are meant to experience measles (mumps, chicken pox, and rubella, too) at an early age, so that when they are exposed to those same childhood disease germs as adults, or their very children expose them to those germs, the adults who must take care of their sick children will not contract the disease; they would already be immune to it.  

Additionally, women who give birth pass their own maternal measles antibodies from their prior, natural experience with measles as a child, on to their own baby.  These maternal antibodies to measles pass to their baby through their milk, protecting their baby from measles for several months post birth, at a time when babies are most vulnerable to developing serious complications from the measles virus should they be exposed to it.

The nurse elected not to infect her son, so she did nothing wrong.  Having a thought is not a crime.  If it were, how many of us would be incarcerated?

Adults can get mumps and measles.  My ex-husband contacted mumps when he was older, before he married me.  And I've met people who have had measles as adults.