Super Contributor

I found that most of my hot flashes were started by feeling anxious or stressed. I think the anti depressant helps by keeping your body's reaction to stress etc more even and less intense. They have helped me thru menopause. I took hormones for about 2 months and then they came out with all the bad news about them and I immediatel went off of them. 

Honored Contributor

@NeNe1010 wrote:

I found that most of my hot flashes were started by feeling anxious or stressed. I think the anti depressant helps by keeping your body's reaction to stress etc more even and less intense. They have helped me thru menopause. I took hormones for about 2 months and then they came out with all the bad news about them and I immediatel went off of them. 

I am retired now and after 42 years in ICU my life now is pretty much stress free so that is not my problem at all.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It is not unusual that some drugs are used for 'off label' conditions. Some antidepressants are known for the side effect of reducing hot flashes so they are ordered for that reason. When I was treated for breast cancer with tamoxifen I was offered Effexor if my flashes became bothersome as not all antidepressants can be taken with tamoxifen. I refused because the flashes luckily were not that bad. It really is not at all uncommon a use for the SSRIs.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown