Honored Contributor

A doctor on the news says If you take 50mg of Zinc per day, you will increase your tissue levels of zinc which will help inhibit viruses like coronavirus. He also said to take a good Nutraceutical-grade vitamins from your doctor not from the drugstore.

I wonder if Andrew Lessman Essential 1 is considered Nutraceutical-grade.

At any rate zinc can be upsetting to the stomach so take with food. Probably cutting in half would help too.

I know it makes me have a queasy stomach since I use lozenges with zinc if I have a sore throat.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Zinc Gluconate

[ Edited ]

opps ............

Honored Contributor

Zinc is something I take regularly and I take an extra lozenge or two when I go to a crowded place with lots of people. I also swab my nostrils with zinc swabs on those days also. I've known about zinc's benefits for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

"A doctor on tv"!  Not exactly the one on which I would, or do rely.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz Good question!  I've been taking zinc with elderberry as well as Vitamin D3, Vitamin K & Vitamin C.  I would love to hear other opinions.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

A doctor on the news says If you take 50mg of Zinc per day, you will increase your tissue levels of zinc which will help inhibit viruses like coronavirus. He also said to take a good Nutraceutical-grade vitamins from your doctor not from the drugstore.

I wonder if Andrew Lessman Essential 1 is considered Nutraceutical-grade.

At any rate zinc can be upsetting to the stomach so take with food. Probably cutting in half would help too.

I know it makes me have a queasy stomach since I use lozenges with zinc if I have a sore throat.

Hmmm... the FDA recommends no more than 40mg of zinc a day for an adult and less for children.

Can zinc be harmful?

Yes, if you get too much. Signs of too much zinc include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and headaches. When people take too much zinc for a long time, they sometimes have problems such as low copper levels, lower immunity, and low levels of HDL cholesterol  (the “good” cholesterol).

The daily upper limits for zinc are listed below. These levels do not apply to people who are taking zinc for medical reasons under the care of a doctor:

Life Stage Upper Limit

Birth to 6 months4 mg
Infants 7–12 months5 mg
Children 1–3 years7 mg
Children 4–8 years12 mg
Children 9–13 years23 mg
Teens 14–18 years34 mg
Adults40 mg

Source: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-Consumer/

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz "TV docs" have no credence as far as I am concerned.

I also DO NOT take health "advice" from anyone but my PCP and my oncologist.

People who rely on this stuff for "medical advice"  are not being very smart about their health.

Things you think might be good for you can actually have the reverse effect unless you discuss it with your medical provider.

I don't pay attention to or watch Lessman or any other salesman of these things.

I get my medical advice from professionals who KNOW me and my history.

Respected Contributor

Re: Zinc Gluconate

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Zinc is something I take regularly and I take an extra lozenge or two when I go to a crowded place with lots of people. I also swab my nostrils with zinc swabs on those days also. I've known about zinc's benefits for a long time.

Be careful with that. Zinc swabs and nasal sprays have been linked to some people losing the sense of smell. The FDA recalled Zicam and other swabs and sprays for that reason back in 2010 and the new Zicam swabs do not contain zinc.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee 

The doctor also mentioned zinc swabs. They used to make Zicam swabs but stopped. People lost sense of smell from using zinc in the nose. I have never tried it & won't. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Nightowlz 

"A doctor on tv"!  Not exactly the one on which I would, or do rely.

hckynut

@hckynut 

DUH!!!

He's not a TV doctor. He's a real doctor that was on our local news.