Honored Contributor

Linked to strokes,and heart attacks, saw on cnn.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I should have been dead 30 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Linked to strokes,and heart attacks, saw on cnn.

@goldensrbest 

You need to be a little more specific.  There are many different "zero calorie sweeteners."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

The specific sweetener linked to strokes & heart attacks is called erythritol.It's referred to as a sugar alcohol.Sorbitol & xylitol are other sugar alcohols that aren't affected.

Trusted Contributor

A sugar replacement called erythritol — used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monk-fruit, and keto reduced-sugar products — has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

I just did a Live Chat with HSN and got a refund for my No Sugar Keto Cups.  I looked at the ingredients and it's sweetened with that particular sweetener.

Honored Contributor

Re: Zero calorie sweetener

[ Edited ]

One study?? I would like to see that source. 

It's always something. What's next?

Remember what they said about saccharin? That it caused cancer. That's been proved wrong.

Honored Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

A sugar replacement called erythritol — used to add bulk or sweeten stevia, monk-fruit, and keto reduced-sugar products — has been linked to blood clotting, stroke, heart attack and death, according to a new study.

Wonder who did the "study"? Maybe the sugar industry 🧐.......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  The article is on CNN dot com. If you look it up I would love to hear your opinion.I respect your knowledge.

@SilleeMee wrote:

One study?? I would like to see that source. 

It's always something. What's next?

Remember what they said about saccharin? That it caused cancer. That's been proved wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@paixmcdao wrote:

Wonder who did the "study"? Maybe the sugar industry 🧐.......

Actually, it was The Cleveland Clinic.

"...lead author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the center for cardiovascular diagnostics and prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute.

Hazen’s research had a simple goal — find unknown chemicals or compounds in a person’s blood that might predict their risk for a heart attack, stroke or death in the next three years. To do so, the team began analyzing 1,157 blood samples in people at risk for heart disease collected between 2004 and 2011.

“We found this substance that seemed to play a big role, but we didn’t know what it was,” Hazen said. “Then we discovered it was erythritol, a sweetener.”

Erythritol is also the largest ingredient by weight in many “natural” stevia and monk-fruit products, Hazen said. Because stevia and monkfruit are about 200 to 400 times sweeter than sugar, just a small amount is needed in any product. The bulk of the product is erythritol, which adds the sugar-like crystalline appearance and texture consumers expect.

Guess I can stop trying to make myself like Stevia.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett