Trusted Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Mammograms?

I get the 3D mammograms.  I don't go every year.  I have decided to go every 18 months.  Cuts down a little on the radiation exposure.  Plus, a friend of mine was four months late with her mammo and they found the beginning of a very aggressive cancer.  If she had gone at the one year mark, it would have been missed.  And, by the second year, it would have spread.  So, I play the odds and spread mine out a little for that reason also.

But, as someone who just had thyroid cancer, my odds of breast cancer are slightly increased.  So, I will continue to get my mammograms.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

The 3D mamm is slightly more radiation than the older type.

Honored Contributor

After a hideous, life changing experience way back in 1979 when I was still a young woman, I have never had another mammogram.  I do get ultrasounds from time to time.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle  My docs at Hopkins told me there is no more radiation in the 3D mammo than in the regular.  But, if I don't get any false callbacks, that's a plus.  I don't have to have them repeated.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I have very dense breast tissue, so when they do one it shows up all white on the screen (kind of like why bother?). They've showed it to me twice now. They also won't do ultrasound for routine screenings. Since they can't make out anything, I've actually had thermography done on my own, for my piece of mind.

@morganjen

I was told by my doctor that the new 3D technology is meant for women who have dense tissue. I just had mine last week and this is my second time using the 3D machine. I am not sure how much my insurance covers, but IMO it is worth it to get a more accurate image. 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs-

Thank you for this thread.

It made me look up a lot of things I didn't know about and rethink what I'll ask for my next mamogram

I haven't gotten one for at least 2 years because I've had so many since I don't know when probably before they knew what to do for dense tissue aside from mamo-ultrasound, biopsy-negative result-repeat-with sometimes several biopsies.

So on the fda.gov website (which I don't always trust but nevertheless, I'll show what I found)-

Thermography (which I don't remember if I've heard of or had) is not a substitue for a mamo because it does not always detect cancer.

It is sometimes used as an "adjunct" to the "mamo 2" (the orginal mamo?)

And the newer 3d or digital mamo also has a new lower dose radiation than the previous one so I guess if having one we should make sure of that one.

I probably will get one again at some point.

I don't like how everything seems to be so haphazard-the consistency of information, which mamo or technology to get, what treatments etc etc.

And the last mamos I've had after all these years, I felt like she was breaking the bones in my shoulder-totally unnecessary and I just don't think she was a very good technician.

Her personality was like nurse ratchet and it almost seemed like she was angrily enjoying it.

Anyway I was encouraged to know its not just me who are skeptical of the routine we should do this or that.

It just makes me know all over again, to do lots of research and hope to be confident in our decision.

I don't ever believe-well just do what your doctor tells you.

They often go by the standard for everyone and don't have time to read on the latest things, nutrition etc.

Its difficult to find a good doctor who has your best interests and knnowledge about you at heart.

I do think many try their best but just don't always have the time they need for each person or to keep up with the latest info which changes all the time!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay

Thanks for your thoughts.  I agree with .gov re thermography.  They have their own establishments, sort of alternative “medicine,” and they “preach” against mammograms because of the radiation. JMO, but I think they are dangerous.  I was a recipient of their sales pitch.

I have read that every other year is sufficient now for mammograms, but I like the other poster’s idea of 18 months better.

I appreciate your info on the new 3d. And I agree with your other statements.

Thank again,

H

Respected Contributor

I have mixed feelings about these tests. I don't think dental xrays or regular mammograms probably cause cancer but when you add in heart scans, kidney scans, brain scans...the radiation exposure  adds up.

Yet, if you have problems or symptoms that need to be addressed how do you avoid them? As we age it seems everyone I know (me too!) seem to need these diagnostic tests.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have been reading lately that sometimes all these mammograms and the 3 D ones and others can actually cause cancer!!!

That is just awful to hear!!

They say get mammogram to detect BUT i have been reading that SOMETIMES getting them cause women to BECOME cancer patients!!!

This is so disturbing!

IMO it is a money making racket.   I got one every year.  Twice I had black and blue marks on my collar bones.   Seriously I already have had thyroid surgery about 20 years ago and not malignant, but if my collar bone is in the machine you know darn well the thyroid is getting it.   I have done massive research on a lot of medical stuff.   The insurance companies are pushing all this stuff.  I was due to go in June and they started bugging me in April, so I told them why this push before I am even due?   Well the Dr.'s want us too.   I said well I will schedule when I am ready to get smashed and radiated.  Our whole medical system is really bad.  The preservatives in the Flu vaccines alone are enough to kill you.  Then they want a Pneumonia, tetnus, shingles, and another new one I can't think of the name..I told the nurse to look at my records and see how many times I have been seen for being sick.   She said it don't look like you have ever been seen for being sick.  I said exactly, so don't ask me again.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I've had two scares in the last couple of years and, to be honest, I'm kind of over it and the expense. 

It turned out to be cysts and it was not worth the emotional stress just worrying and waiting each time.  I've done the OMG thing for the medical community twice and twice they were wrong. The technology just doesn't exist yet to really see.  

While I appreciate their due diligence, I will not be in a hurry to get this year's screening.  I don't think I am even scheduled for my annual yet and I'm due next month.  I won't be calling the doctor.  She can call me. 

And before the cancer survivors light me up, I am very grateful for having the access to get screened and the lucky fortune to not have the disease at this point.  I am also grateful to have the choice to make my own medical decisions even if they do cost me my life.      

@Laura14   Get this:  I lived in Pa all my life until 14 years ago I moved to Florida.  I had one here and they said we see something on the left side.  I said that has been there for 10 years. She sad we need to do an ultra sound and I said you need to get my records.  So they bugged and bugged and I just went and got it , and guess what, the Bongo brains got my records from Pa after I had the Ultra sound. They said yes that has been there and there is no change.    My insurance didn't pay for it and I got stuck with the bill.   I should have refused to pay for it.   argh!