Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Mammograms?

I went through a breast cancer scare early this year, complete with biopsies and an excision of the lump which I found a few months after a mammo.   I now have a diagnosis of ALH, which means I have a higher risk of breast cancer, so skipping a mammogram is a no-go for my peace of mind.   If I were in my 80s, I might make a different decision.  

Honored Contributor

icd55--yes that is true, however, when I was getting the 3D mammos I never paid extra. they are standard at the hospitals in Seattle where I went. Now that I don't have boobs, no more mammos for me---hurray!!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

icd55--yes that is true, however, when I was getting the 3D mammos I never paid extra. they are standard at the hospitals in Seattle where I went. Now that I don't have boobs, no more mammos for me---hurray!!!!

I didn’t pay extra either, @wagirl.  They are standard at the facility I go to.  If I go through more biopsies and excision, I would opt for the no boobs/no recon route, too

Frequent Contributor

I get one every year the last couple the 3-D one. I'm turning 60 and I have had them since 40"I think. My sister had Bc a few years ago. My insurance pays for a regular mammogram I pay a likttle extra for the 3-D like $40 or 50 I can't remember.  I will continue to have them. The 3 d ones show much much more so far mine have been good I haven't ever been called back.

Respected Contributor

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this subject, and even entitled to making decisions based on fear, BUT I will choose to get an annual mammogram. I know too many women who have had breast cancer.  I'm not willing to take a chance since it has been proven that early detection is key. 

Respected Contributor

I think mamograms cause problems, as do pap test. I am living proof that a pap test cause me all kinds of problems that I didn't have before, it took along time for me to be okay. Also I was abused by a former husband and he caused an injury to my breast. I went my GYN and he sent me for a mamogram and all I had was a very small blood nogule that he found during surgery  and the doctor almost caust me my breast because he caused an infection by using cat gut stickes and my breast erupted and he had to dig out the stickes without numing me and it took 2 weeks for my breast to heal. These professional butcher us with there bull. That's my opinion due to my experiences.

Super Contributor

morganjen, I have been interested in the thermography myself for a while now. I will likely never submit my breast tissue to the radiation of a mammogram, but I do not have a family history of breast cancer, so it is not quite as important for me as it is for some. I want to be screened, just not with radiation. How much did the thermography cost you, if I may ask? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:

morganjen, I have been interested in the thermography myself for a while now. I will likely never submit my breast tissue to the radiation of a mammogram, but I do not have a family history of breast cancer, so it is not quite as important for me as it is for some. I want to be screened, just not with radiation. How much did the thermography cost you, if I may ask? 

@ThinkOutsidetheBox  I had one done last week at the Born Preventive Clinic in Grand Rapids, MI.  It was around $300.00.  I have had one every year for close to 10 years.

BTW I have had a few mammograms before a doctor turned me on to thermograms.......never looked back.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

This is just the opinion of a 55 y/o woman who has been getting mammograms since her mid 20's.  I've had 'regular' mammograms and tried the 3D mammogram last year.  

In my experience - I have not been clamped into the mammogram machine long enough (on an annual basis) to worry about radiation.  

My experience with 3D was that I was not clamped as hard and it went faster.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Yes I have known that for a long time. They would like you to believe the radiation amount is minimal. I don't think so & it adds up year after year of testing.

The newer 3D mammograms use more radiation. Boy did they get that wrong. Why not come out with a mammogram test that uses less instead of a test that uses more radiation???

2 yrs ago when I had it done they said did you know it's been 5 yrs since your last one. They told me I should do it yearly. I told them it was not any of their business.