Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Mammograms?

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14

I might be wrong I thought preventaive mamograms are given at no cost to the patients

As far as I know if you have the right health insurance it is, if not then I guess you're on your own. Afterall health care is a privilage in the US.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14

I might be wrong I thought preventaive mamograms are given at no cost to the patients

@I am still oxox. Huh?  Costs is not the issue we're discussing.  The issue is possible over exposure to radition.

Forgot about that when cost was introduced into the equation. I don't know if someone mentioned this or not because I have not read every post, but I was told by the doc that you get no more radiation from the xray machine than you do from a trans Atlantic flight. Also a wonderful xray tech told me one time after I hadn't bothered to get a mammogram for 5 years,"you better not wait 5 years again to get a mammogram or you'll know it". Can you imagine. I'm lucky to have good health insurance and do think it's important to get mammograms, but breast self checks can be just as effective for some women.

Super Contributor

I was diagnosed in 2001 after one year and one day from my previous mammogram.  I felt nothing, had my yearly with my gyno and she felt nothing.  My mammo flagged something that needed to be further tested.  I wound up with 2 different small masses which would never have been felt by exam.  Further tests and biopsy proved malignant but stage 1.  Surgery, chemo and radiation and I am still here 16 years a survivor. I don't doubt my outcome is a credit to my diligence of yearly testing and the mammogram I had.

Respected Contributor

I appreciate this technology that can save lives.

Honored Contributor

I get yearly mammos.  Risk of breast cancer scares me more than getting a little radiation having a mammo.  I've had a different later stage cancer and did the surgery, chemo, radiation thing.  Once was enough.  If a mammo will identify early stage cancer, sign me up.  I won't tell anyone they have to get a mammo.  I would tell them to think long and hard about choosing not to get one.

Esteemed Contributor

I too get a yearly mammoth and so far so good.  Btw I have a niece who detected a lump and since she was 29 had to pay for mammo herself. She had cancer and a mastecdomy.  I am not worried about getting too much cumulative radiation as I remember getting foot xrays at shoe store in the fifties (ha ha).

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirlradiation can cause cancer.  Even the treatment for breast cancer (radiation) carries the risk of producing a cancer long term.  It's a terrible situation to be in when the treatments can cause more of the same.

Honored Contributor

snoop------EVERYTHING  can cause cancer, however---given the choice to live or die from not doing anything or going thru rads, was/is not an option for me. I did everything I could to get rid of the nasty cancer zombies and have succeeded so far.  Treatments causing more harm than good is the norm---for some-- but for others a Godsend. When you are shoved into that kind of decision, it's up to you to decide. 

Respected Contributor

I get screened every year and I am 64.  When I was 62, a small tumor was found.  If not for the mammogram and the diligent radiologist,  I might be in big trouble today.  I had a lumpectomy and radiation and I am doing very well.  Early detection is so important!!!  (stage 1)

Super Contributor

Screenings mammograms are provided at no cost in most states. However, diagnostic imaging may or may not be covered, depending on your insurance.