Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Mammograms?

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14

Ouch at one point I needed to have mamo's and ultra sound, at that point 30 something years ago, insurance was totally different, I had no co pay and most things were covered at 100%

@I am still oxox  Those days can come back anytime now!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

I think that is highly doubtful 

@Laura14 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14

Ouch at one point I needed to have mamo's and ultra sound, at that point 30 something years ago, insurance was totally different, I had no co pay and most things were covered at 100%

@I am still oxox  Those days can come back anytime now!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Mammograms saved my life!! Found breast cancer in 2012. I was religious about them since I was 40.  I'm 63 now. I chose to have double mastectomy with no recon so mammos are not needed, however I still see my onc dr every 8 months for a check up. You and your dr need to have a conversation. Believe me, the small amount of rads from a yearly mammo is NOTHING----compared to chemo, surgery and radiation and the all consuming worry of recurrence.. Never heard of mammos causing cancer----am a little skeptical  at that statement. FYI---there was NO  family history of cancer in my family but I got it anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have been reading lately that sometimes all these mammograms and the 3 D ones and others can actually cause cancer!!!

That is just awful to hear!!

They say get mammogram to detect BUT i have been reading that SOMETIMES getting them cause women to BECOME cancer patients!!!

This is so disturbing!

My friend at the age of 85 decided to not have one that year, because the DR. said every other year.  I told her they just want to save money, you get it every year regardless.  She didn,t because being old school, the DR. is God.  Well the next year at age 86, they found cancer through the mammoth.  Fortunately, they got it early.  No chemo, because of her age, but radiation.  Today, she is 91 and still works out at the gym.  A very strong woman.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I've had two scares in the last couple of years and, to be honest, I'm kind of over it and the expense. 

It turned out to be cysts and it was not worth the emotional stress just worrying and waiting each time.  I've done the OMG thing for the medical community twice and twice they were wrong. The technology just doesn't exist yet to really see.  

While I appreciate their due diligence, I will not be in a hurry to get this year's screening.  I don't think I am even scheduled for my annual yet and I'm due next month.  I won't be calling the doctor.  She can call me. 

And before the cancer survivors light me up, I am very grateful for having the access to get screened and the lucky fortune to not have the disease at this point.  I am also grateful to have the choice to make my own medical decisions even if they do cost me my life.      

@Laura14- I am a 4 1/2 yr cancer survivor and the only reason we may "light you up" is to save a life.  I wasn't going to get my mammo after my dr did a complete physical, including breast exam, and I had felt no lumps either.  But I kept my appointment. Guess what - aggressive breast cancer that had spread to the lymph nodes already.

You want to talk about the emotional stress and worrying and waiting - try getting the diagnosis of cancer, then you will really know what worry and stress is..  We survivors jump for joy when we get a negative test.  It IS worth the temporary anxiety, believe me, rather than some day getting blindsided by a cancer diagnosis that may have come too late.

Is there a risk with a mammo, well if you had one every day for a year, there would be concern.  Once a year, worth it, especially these days with better technology.  Don't be sour at the medical community and don't wait for them to call you, you are responsible for yourself.

Me, I'd rather get a negative result than cancer.

I don't know you, but do hope you never get cancer, but remember even if you do your chances of surviving it are great and you will appreciate life in a way you never imagined.

And I would rather have you me mad at me for saying all this but still alive, than the alternative.

Best wishes to you - HRL

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Laura14

I might be wrong I thought preventaive mamograms are given at no cost to the patients

@I am still oxox. Huh?  Costs is not the issue we're discussing.  The issue is possible over exposure to radition.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I am also a 3 year survivor.   I never miss a mammogram and could have died  if I skipped that one 3 years ago.   I have very dense tissue and my tumor did not show up on my previous one.  I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and it was in my lymphnodes also.   I had surgery, chemo and radiation over the course of 9 months.   FYI, I learned that it is only 10% hereditary unless you carry the Braca gene perhaps.  I was the one and only in my family too that had breast cancer.   To each his own but preventive care is the best medicine.

Occasional Contributor

My 3D mammogram saved my life! I had my mammoogram in August. Got the 3D mammo and found a very early, small Stage 1 Grade 2 Invasive Ductal cell carcinoma. I thank God they found it when they did. I am 52. No history at all of breast cancer in my family. Had surgery and doing radiation and hormone suppressant therapy.  What doesn't cause cancer in this day and age???  Cell phones, TVs, char grilled foods, dental xrays.....just get your mammograms ladies!!! 1 in 8 women WILL get breast cancer.  Risk factors include just getting older!

Respected Contributor

You are paying for mammograms upfront every year in your insurance premium whether you gave the have the procedure done or not, the cost is simply rolled in & for those who don't have insurance they can pay a reduced cost or nothing but an organization or taxpayers are footing the bill....nothing in this world is free. For me, I have it done every other year & feel comfortable with that decision for now, I would have the 3D done if my Dr. felt it would be better for me by reducing my chance of a call back & I'd pay the additional cost without any hesitation. With every X-ray you have to weigh exposure verus benefit to make your decision & I know mammograms have saved countless lives.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have been reading lately that sometimes all these mammograms and the 3 D ones and others can actually cause cancer!!!

That is just awful to hear!!

They say get mammogram to detect BUT i have been reading that SOMETIMES getting them cause women to BECOME cancer patients!!!

This is so disturbing!

@CherryHugs

I have to ask .....  were these LEGITIMATE medical sources or just  "scare articles"?   

Seems to me you need to have this discussion with your PCP or Gyno.    Worrying about radiation from a mammogram to the point where you skip them just doesn't make sense ... to ME.