Honored Contributor

Your thoughts on Mammograms?

I have been reading lately that sometimes all these mammograms and the 3 D ones and others can actually cause cancer!!!

That is just awful to hear!!

They say get mammogram to detect BUT i have been reading that SOMETIMES getting them cause women to BECOME cancer patients!!!

This is so disturbing!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on Mammograms?

[ Edited ]

I've had two scares in the last couple of years and, to be honest, I'm kind of over it and the expense. 

It turned out to be cysts and it was not worth the emotional stress just worrying and waiting each time.  I've done the OMG thing for the medical community twice and twice they were wrong. The technology just doesn't exist yet to really see.  

While I appreciate their due diligence, I will not be in a hurry to get this year's screening.  I don't think I am even scheduled for my annual yet and I'm due next month.  I won't be calling the doctor.  She can call me. 

And before the cancer survivors light me up, I am very grateful for having the access to get screened and the lucky fortune to not have the disease at this point.  I am also grateful to have the choice to make my own medical decisions even if they do cost me my life.      

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs   Yes--- lots of very conflicting information out there for women to go through and decide what they should or should not do.  It is confusing as one day  they say one thing... and another day they say something different.

I feel the same way you do.  All I can say is to do your own homework and decided FOR YOURSELF what YOU Should do for YOUR BODY.  Do not let anyone else shame you for what you decide is right for you. 

Many women get on the mamogram band wagon and make women who  decide to do different than them  feel bad for not having annual mamograms.  No information out there  is 100% that they are telling women what to do or not do.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have only 1 thought I do it for me and for my family

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Any radiological test can cause cancer if a patient has too many.  I know too many wormen whose mammo has saved them from something way worse and scarier.  I will continue to get mine annually, but I suppose the choice is yours

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@Laura14

I might be wrong I thought preventaive mamograms are given at no cost to the patients

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Every single decision we make has risks.  You do have to decide for yourself what risks make the most sense to you.  With mammograms, I've considered my age, the presence of breast cancer in my closest family members, findings from previous mammos, my weight, and my lifestyle issues.  I do believe one of the most important things to consider is what you would do if you found a lump yourself.

@CherryHugsDid your reading give you any idea how the danger of having a mammo compares with the danger of not having them?  I ask that because I know my vascular doctor whom I see for my somewhat blocked carotid artery has told me 2 years running that my risk of a stroke with the blockage I have is an extra 2% -  and my risk of stroke if he operates -  the same 2%!!!!   So far, he suggests no surgical action, but I've made major lifestyle changes.   I'm wondering if there are similar figures for our breasts.

Respected Contributor

I felt the way that you do and didn't have a mammo for 7 years. I got tired of having benign biopsies because of cystic breasts. Well after 7 years I decided to finally get one and lo and behold they found a cancer on the side where i never hd a problem.

Yes, it's your life and your right to decide what to put your body through. I had an angel sitting on my shoulder as my cancer was not an advanced stage. I hope you are as lucky.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox, I am thinking that @Laura14 got the dreaded call back to get a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. 

Super Contributor

Yes they are free but now the facilities are pushing for a 3D mamo and my insurance does not cover it.  I was asked if I wanted to pay for it out of pocket and I said no...Someone has to pay for this expensive machine...