Honored Contributor

Re: Your medical records (chart) . . . surprising fact

@HisElk wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@HisElk wrote:

I found this website about the effects of IB.  Hope it helps.

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/medications-cause

IMO, medical issues that are not correct should be removed from our records and one should not have to take it to court for removal.  That's ludicrous when the physician has the capability to remove it.  I have had the same issue with something myself and it seems to take "an act of congress" to have it removed. 

I am very careful how much IB I take because of the side effects.

I take no painkillers anymore, HisElk.  And never IB anymore or any other kind of OTC painkiller (or prescription either, for that matter).  Rarely I will take an Aleve when I get one of my nighttime headaches.

Thanks for the article, I will read it now.  I did a lot of google searching also and they all said long term ibuprofen use will cause and/or aggravate HBP, which I already knew because I had done it before.

Plus facts are facts.  When I stopped taking it, my BP went back to normal.

Hey Lilac Tree, glad you saw my post.  Rarely do I take any unless I really need them. 

As far as the article, it's pretty clear and there are also many other sites I found by googling.  Smiley Happy

Me too.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor

I understand the OP's concern and agree with it.  Several years ago my DH had been very sick for an extended period.  He and I share the same PCP, so at my regular appointment I shared some concerns about my DHD with the doctor and was so concerned about his illness I started crying.  The doctor told me he thought I was depressed and prescribed an antidepressant.  I took it for 2 months and decided I didn't need it, so with the doctor's okay I weaned off of it.

I was being referred to a surgeon about 3 years later so the doctor gave me a copy of my office visit with all the blood work etc., and I noticed the first thing on the medical history was "depression."  I argued with him about it but he said once diagnosed, any issue stays on your chart!

I especially didn't like having that on my chart since I don't think it was ever an issue anyway!

Honored Contributor

I just came back from my yearly appointment with my doctor.  She asked me if I was still taking a heart medication.... I answered No because I don't have a heart condition.

A year ago I had radiating pains across my shoulders, up my neck and down my arms to my elbows while having lunch with my husband.  We immediately thought heart attack and went to the ER.  We were there all day and into the night.  No signs of a heart attack.  Next day I had a stress test and again, everything looked healthy. What was it?  A pinched nerve in my neck from a serious fall I had in 2010~!!

But the heart issue, tests and medication is on my permanent record along with whatever notations she made at this visit.  I don't mind because I really think it ~should~ be on my records.  I had an episode that clearly could have been heart related, had tests, was given medication and all that was on my record, but the resolution (pinched nerve) was also on the record.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

I just came back from my yearly appointment with my doctor.  She asked me if I was still taking a heart medication.... I answered No because I don't have a heart condition.

A year ago I had radiating pains across my shoulders, up my neck and down my arms to my elbows while having lunch with my husband.  We immediately thought heart attack and went to the ER.  We were there all day and into the night.  No signs of a heart attack.  Next day I had a stress test and again, everything looked healthy. What was it?  A pinched nerve in my neck from a serious fall I had in 2010~!!

But the heart issue, tests and medication is on my permanent record along with whatever notations she made at this visit.  I don't mind because I really think it ~should~ be on my records.  I had an episode that clearly could have been heart related, had tests, was given medication and all that was on my record, but the resolution (pinched nerve) was also on the record.  

In its own way, its not too dissimilar to a student's grades in school.

If they were receiving all C's and D's one term but then "turned around" or got tutoring - only to then become a National Merit Scholar the next term, doesn't mean that the year of C's and D's didn't occur. It actually is what happened at THAT point in one's life or education.

And like grades, health can change, too, year to year. But no year is the ultimate profile of one's educational or health HISTORY.

Again, its not unlike even when counting multiple marriages. You can be on Husband No. 6...but he IS Husband No. 6 because...there were 5 before him. lol

Its one's life history. Even if one goes to a judge to blot out the previous marriages...they DID still happen.

If one wants the marriages to have never EXISTED, well, then you'd have to...ask the Pope. lol

Respected Contributor

You cannot alter a medical record. 

You CAN have the provider make a note that a certain problem is resolved and you are off medication for it or it is better, whatever the truth may be.  Also why you were on the medication is important.  They can do an addendum if necessary.  Sometimes you are only seeing a part of the whole note or series of notes.

Respected Contributor

I don't think anyone is suggesting that medical records be altered but we are saying they should be acurate as to current conditions,current medications and past history. 

I was given metroprol for "rapid pulse rate" I have never had hypertension. Now I go to the pharmacist for the behind the counter cold med and the tech says "you cannot take this bc you have HBP. I said I do not have HBP and she is just not going to take my word for knowing my health. Someone said that patients should not be reading health records bc we don't know what we are reading. I disagree.

Now I go in for a little out pt procedure and the intake nurse says why to you take metroprol and I said rapid pulse rate. She records IRREGULAR heart rate. Now this is on my records!!!!

Medical records are also legal documents and all parties should and must do everything possible to make them complete and accurate. Inaccurate medical records can cause harm to patients.

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with discussing the record with your doctor when you go there and ask him to correct it, but to call him up saying you have something urgent to discuss and this is what it is- good heavens. Far from an urgent need to talk to him about this.

Occasional Contributor

Indeed, Ibuprofen is a medication that can elevate BP. I am a nurse.
Valued Contributor

@Auntiemay wrote:
Indeed, Ibuprofen is a medication that can elevate BP. I am a nurse.

Thank you.  There was some misinformation posted earlier in the thread about this.  That is why I gave the site proving that it can.

I appreciate your post. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Good information posted......Thanks.