Honored Contributor

You would think getting enough naturally sourced Vitamin C would be easy

[ Edited ]

AC3855BB-54EB-4688-8FDB-93F0B26998D9.jpegI have some chewing problems. I’m always trying to get enough Vitamin C from natural sources and not added into foods and drinks after cooking or pasteurization (such as in commercial orange juice, for example). The Vitamin C content of foods is much lower than one would think. I use my Vitamix and blend red bell peppers, citrus, tomatoes and other fruit and veggies to meet my requirements but it isn’t easy. For example, I just blended 6 whole Campari tomatoes with a bit of water and this will only meet half the daily requirements for Vitamin C. This is my first time tasting these tomatoes. Last night I ate three, unblended with a bit of dressing. They taste great but they have the toughest skin of any tomato. I couldn’t even get my fork to pierce the skins. This morning when I checked their nutrient content I couldn’t believe how low in Vitamin C this variety of tomato is. 

Honored Contributor

🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

Just eat a potato!

My beautiful taters are vitamin powerhouses!

1 large tater has 37mg of vitamin C....half your RDA, if you choose to track.

Done!

B852231F-6883-4740-B810-4696D7465697.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: 🥔🥔🥔🥔🥔

[ Edited ]

I just take a 100% pure ascorbic acid powder and add it to my daily green drink. The VC powder makes it tart and I like that. The VC also enhances the phytonutrients in the greens and also gives them more antioxidant properties as well as increased bioavailability. I could never eat enough food to get the amount of VC I need, especially with my medical condition. Supplementation is the only way I can get enough of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just take a 100% pure ascorbic acid powder and add it to my daily green drink. The VC powder makes it tart and I like that. The VC also enhances the phytonutrients in the greens and also gives them more antioxidant properties. I could never eat enough food to get the amount of VC I need, especially with my medical condition. Supplementation is the only way I can get enough of it.

@SilleeMee 

Is ascorbic acid powder hard on the teeth?

Or does drinking through a straw sufficient?

🌞 。
 🦄∴。 🌟
 ・゚*。💛・
  ・ *゚。   ❤️
  ・ ゚🌺。・゚🌸。
   🧡・。°*. ゚
🌹  ゚。·🌻・。 ゚*
   ゚ *.。🍊。💜 ・
  * 💚 。・゚*.。
    * 🦋 ゚・。 *  💙
    ・  ゚🌼 。
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just take a 100% pure ascorbic acid powder and add it to my daily green drink. The VC powder makes it tart and I like that. The VC also enhances the phytonutrients in the greens and also gives them more antioxidant properties. I could never eat enough food to get the amount of VC I need, especially with my medical condition. Supplementation is the only way I can get enough of it.

@SilleeMee 

Is ascorbic acid powder hard on the teeth?

Or does drinking through a straw sufficient?

I've not noticed any problems with my teeth. I don't sip my green drink, I just down it quickly. Not much time spent in the mouth that way. Smiley Very Happy @sidsmom 

I also use stannous fluoride regularly. That strengthens tooth enamel.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMeeCitric acid is a chemically made Vitamin C. Body does not process it the same way as whole food vitamin C, it excretes most of it.

If you need to supplement (and most people do) get a whole food, non-heat processed vitamin C product.

Cherries actually have an enormous amount of vitamin C, but they are seasonal and usually very expensive. There are supplement powders available on Amazon.

Organic Acerola Vit C powder (mine is made by Micro Ingredients) is a great choice. Totally clean, only ingredient is cherries. Powder made by the flash freezing and crushing into a powder form. No heat to destroy any of the nutrient.

One bag lasts forever because you just use one scoop in either a glass of water (doesn't taste bad at all, almost no taste really), or throw it into a smoothie, mix it into yogurt. The scoop is about the size of 1/2 tsp. It provides 800% of the daily value.

There really is no way to take too much Vit C. Our body can only process 500mg, then we pee out any overage.

Just in case you are interested. Many people don't realize citric acid is a chemical vitamin, so if anyone is trying to get chemical free, whole food C non heat processed is the way to go.

Respected Contributor

Eating  a raw potato, while not great tasting,won't destroy vitamin C like boiling, baking  or any other heating method - which reduces vitamin C.

Best to get a variety of food in your diet.

Respected Contributor

Re: You would think getting enough naturally sourced Vitamin C would be easy

The RDA for vitamin C is pretty low, about 75mg for adult women.  It would not be very challenging to reach this with some fruits and vegetables daily.  There is no need for excessive amounts of it, the body won't absorb it.  I find the strangest thing on the OP's chart is beef spleen.  I never heard of this as a food item in my life!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gabstoomuch 

I don't take citric acid. I take ascorbic acid. Those are not the same thing at all. Citric acid is used as a food preservative and also as a cleaning product. I know my supplements. I'm a biochemist.Smiley Happy

There is no known difference between synthetic VC and natural VC when it comes to diet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3847730/

Honored Contributor

Re: You would think getting enough naturally sourced Vitamin C would be easy

@Grouchomarx wrote:

The RDA for vitamin C is pretty low, about 75mg for adult women.  It would not be very challenging to reach this with some fruits and vegetables daily.  There is no need for excessive amounts of it, the body won't absorb it.  I find the strangest thing on the OP's chart is beef spleen.  I never heard of this as a food item in my life!

You would think this is true. I did, but I have put some effort into making sure I get enough natural C. I just add in some higher Vitamin C foods everyday but it’s surprising how low in C some foods are. As I said in my op I ate 6 Compari tomatoes this morning.. I thought this would hit the mark but I was wrong. I’ll just eat some strawberries later.