Honored Contributor

Re: Yogurt wards off high blood pressure according to latest study

Confession....I only enjoy soft frozen yogurt served at Bloomingdales. The tarte kind I hold my nose to eat. It must be an acquired taste. 

Honored Contributor

I don’t put much thought into these studies anymore.

I do know that I worked 16 years with a woman who ate yogurt, was not overweight, and took 2 blood pressure medications daily in an effort to manage her hypertension.  I can’t begin to count the number of shifts we worked together when her BP was sky high.  I could always tell when her BP was up, and if she wouldn’t go to Triage and have it checked, I contacted the Nursing Supervisor and asked her to send someone to our department to take my coworkers BP.   Several times her BP was very close to the point the Supervisor was ready to send her home.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  you could be right, but, I still think it's worth trying

Not everyones body reacts the same way. I am getting better relief from my stomach issues because I switched meds, some people do fine on prilosec, nexium works better forme.

One thing my Dr told me about food is,  not everyone is able to eat the same things, when advising me about diet

It might be the case with things like yogurt. What helps one person, may not work for another

It isn't something that is going to hurt most people, and if it helps you are  money ahead, so to speak

It is high in carbs so ,I think I would eat about half a container, and  get half of the carb load, and see it that works. If not ,try to eat the entire portion

Honored Contributor

Finally -- something I actually like that is good for you!  But I suppose in a few months, another report will come out saying that it's bad for your health.  Seems to be the way it works.  Eggs are bad -- no, they'e good.  Coffee is good --- not it's bad.  And the list just goes on and on.  I do try to eat half decent --- most of the time --- and I try to just use my own judgment about things.  But I would be lying if I said I didn't pay attention to what the "experts" say as well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I love yogurt but being a type 1 diabetic it contains way too much sugar. I'm talking about the plain yogurt too! 7 grams of sugar contained in the plain yogurts! Thats insane! I can't see how this is a preferred "healthy" heart smart food. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When it comes to yogurt it's very important to read the label. Real plain yogurt should contain only cultured pasteurized (whole/nonfat) milk. Many Greek 'style' yogurts contain thickening ingredients to make them thick and are considered to be 'fake Greek yogurt'...which adds more carbs and sugar.

Honored Contributor

I have HBP and there was a time I was drinking home made yogurt smoothies at least 5 times aweek so I think these finidngs are not so true

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgrammawrote:

I like plain Greek yogurt with a handfull of fresh berries thrown in...

I add cinnamon and occasionally some oats and this is my breakfast most days when berries are in season.  Love it!

Super Contributor

I am not a fan of yogurt and never was.  Since I suffer from lactose problems I stay away from anything that will cause a disturbance... I tried the store "Cups" a few times and just loved their frozen yogurt until the cramps and diarrhea set in - asked the salesperson if it was lactose-free and she said no... Really tough having this problem.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2wrote:

I love yogurt but being a type 1 diabetic it contains way too much sugar. I'm talking about the plain yogurt too! 7 grams of sugar contained in the plain yogurts! Thats insane! I can't see how this is a preferred "healthy" heart smart food. 

@ID2 In the plain yogurt it's natural sugar - not added sugars. But I know diabetics need to be concerned with that as well.The straining process preparing greek  yogurt reduces the  whey and lactose-  which then reduces the sugar. Non fat plain greek yogurt has so many health benefits! 

How much natural sugar per day has your doctor advised is okay?