Honored Contributor

Re: Yogurt wards off high blood pressure according to latest study

I couldn't either @Lipstickdiva  I am going to try yoplait

Honored Contributor

love yogurt and usually make my own.....it is so easy.

it is great as a savory side dish at dinner.

i do like it more sour.

i usually make at least 2 quarts a week.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdivawrote:

I absolutely cannot do fat free, plain greek yogurt.  I've tried fruit, I've tried stevia, I've tried vanilla extract, I've tried granola and I've tried it all  together.  It's disgusting and gross to me.

I can eat sweetened Greek yogurt.  Oikos is my favorite, Chobani is my least favorite. 

You have to really watch thought because a lot of yogurts are loaded with added sugar and I'm not interested in any that have artificial sweeteners in them. 

@Lipstickdiva I mix the 100 calorie type flavored greek  yogurts (around 7 grams of sugar- oikos and light & fit are in my frig right now!) with half cup of plain non fat greek yogurt. It balalnces the flavor nicely and it controls my carbs. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@Q4u Full fat yogurt has less carbs in it than no fat or low fat and is much better for those who must watch their carb intake.

That's very true, but aside from the carbs, if the dairy has natural sugars it can do a number on some of us, even the full fat yogurts.  I have a distinct and immediate reaction to yogurt  as well as milk and use milk to raise my blood sugars when they go too low.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

@Q4u Full fat yogurt has less carbs in it than no fat or low fat and is much better for those who must watch their carb intake.

?? Full fat plain greek yogurt has the same sugar - give/take a little - as non fat  plain greek yogurt.  Non fat yogurt is made with non fat milk; 'full fat'  yogurt is made with whole milk- there's little difference (if any) in the sugar content of each type of milk. 

What you posted seems to make perfect sense, but that is not the way it is.

low fat and non fat yogurt have more carbs in them because it is thinner and powdered milk is added to make it thicker that contains milk sugar, lactose and other carb additives.

a six ounce serving of

full fat Greek yogurt contains 7 grams of carbs.

whole milk, regular 8 grams

non fat 12 grams

skim 13 grams.

of course you have to read the label.  Different brands can be more or less, but generally whole milk dairy products are lower in carbs.

i occasionally follow a low carb diet and only eat 20 carbs a day.  Even one or two carbs makes a big difference to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@Carmiewrote:

?? Full fat plain greek yogurt has the same sugar - give/take a little - as non fat  plain greek yogurt.  Non fat yogurt is made with non fat milk; 'full fat'  yogurt is made with whole milk- there's little difference (if any) in the sugar content of each type of milk. 

What you posted seems to make perfect sense, but that is not the way it is.

low fat and non fat yogurt have more carbs in them because it is thinner and powdered milk is added to make it thicker that contains milk sugar, lactose and other carb additives.

a six ounce serving of

full fat Greek yogurt contains 7 grams of carbs.

whole milk, regular 8 grams

non fat 12 grams

skim 13 grams.

of course you have to read the label.  Different brands can be more or less, but generally whole milk dairy products are lower in carbs.

i occasionally follow a low carb diet and only eat 20 carbs a day.  Even one or two carbs makes a big difference to me.

Powdered milk is added to non fat greek yogurt? !!  Woman Frustrated That;'s a first. Please list your source. It's certainly not in the variety currently in my frig! Wegmans non fat greek yogurt:

INGREDIENTS

Cultured pasteurized grade A nonfat Milk. Contains The following live cultures: L. bulgaricus, streptococcus Thermophilus, l.Acidophilus, bifidus, L. Casei.