Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yogurt wards off high blood pressure according to latest study

I like the Dannon light Greek or we get the Kroger Greek. They are all under 15 grams of carbs which as a diabetic you want. That isn’t a lot of sugar or carbs.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u Full fat yogurt has less carbs in it than no fat or low fat and is much better for those who must watch their carb intake.

Honored Contributor

When I was in Greece, I ate yogurt several times a day.  The Greek yogurt sold in the US is no where near as good as it was over there.

i eat it occasionally, but really don’t enjoy it as much since I have had the real thing.  I am not big on dairy products at all, and never drank milk, even as a child. Yuck!

Respected Contributor

Not a very scientific article....

I wonder if it isn't the probiotics in the yogurt that are really responsible for the results.  We know that probiotics, in promoting good gut health, is responsible for good overall health involving multiple systems.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmiewrote:

@Q4u Full fat yogurt has less carbs in it than no fat or low fat and is much better for those who must watch their carb intake.

?? Full fat plain greek yogurt has the same sugar - give/take a little - as non fat  plain greek yogurt.  Non fat yogurt is made with non fat milk; 'full fat'  yogurt is made with whole milk- there's little difference (if any) in the sugar content of each type of milk. 

Honored Contributor

I absolutely cannot do fat free, plain greek yogurt.  I've tried fruit, I've tried stevia, I've tried vanilla extract, I've tried granola and I've tried it all  together.  It's disgusting and gross to me.

I can eat sweetened Greek yogurt.  Oikos is my favorite, Chobani is my least favorite. 

You have to really watch thought because a lot of yogurts are loaded with added sugar and I'm not interested in any that have artificial sweeteners in them. 

Honored Contributor

The American Journal of Hypertension is reporting the same thing

Will It work for me?  I have no idea, but I am still going to give it a go....I have nothing  to lose,  I can  manage my diet to allow a bit of yogurt twice a week

https://academic.oup.com/ajh/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ajh/hpx220/4818397?redirectedFrom=...

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2wrote:

@GCR18  Try Noosa.  It's great, especially the flavors that you normally don't see in yogurt, including strawberry rhubarb, lemon, pumpkin pie, cherry vanilla and coconut.

Available at regular grocery stores, Costco, Target and Walmart.  

The sugar content in Noosa is out of site. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  they didn't say how much you have to eat, so I am going to try 1/2 0f a carton twice a week.  It might not be enough, time will tell

You don't have to eat it everyday ,and that is a plus

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherrywrote:

@Lipstickdiva  they didn't say how much you have to eat, so I am going to try 1/2 0f a carton twice a week.  It might not be enough, time will tell

You don't have to eat it everyday ,and that is a plus

@cherry, I honestly couldn't gag down the fat free, plain Greek.  I'm not kidding.  It was like eating paste to me. 

I don't have a BP issue but if I did, I'd rather do something else to help than that. I just refuse to eat stuff I detest.  I can't do it.  LOL 

I'm a huge baby when it comes to stuff like that.  I have a real issue with textures in foods too.  If a texture is gross to me, I can't eat it no matter how good I think the food tastes.