Valued Contributor
On 5/22/2014 annabellethecat said:

I used to take Yoga and have been thinking of going back (would be like the beginning).

Anyway, you reminded me of something. My best friend's son (he's 41) is really into Yoga. He's always posting his posses on his facebook page (did I tell you he likes the way he looks and he also likes the way he's talented) Ha!

Anyway, he recently posted a picture of himself with one of those huge (bigger than a beach ball) strapped around his stomach and I think he was trying to get upside down.

Anyone know this pose?

Sorry I don't know the pose. But, that's great hearing he's enjoying the yoga!!

Super Contributor
I always wanted to do yoga, but I have two arthritic hips and two knee replacements. I can not do the standard yoga sit with legs crossed......
Honored Contributor
What I LOVE about yoga is that it is for everyone. There are modified moves for every position. It's also a theory that you tend toward flexibility or strength. I'm very flexible, but I can't do a tree pose without support. It's not a competitive practice as the best instructors will "preach". And progressive. The more you practice, you will notice you abilities increase. A fantastic workout too when the focus is on core, like doing planks.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Occasional Contributor

I do yoga early in the morning because after eating too much bbq baked in romertopf clay baker, its get difficult for me to work in smarter way.

Occasional Contributor

I love my handstands and backbends! Most vinyasa classes will feature these somewhere within a class. Ashtanga has a headstand towards the end of the practice. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/26/2014 Chi-town girl said: What I LOVE about yoga is that it is for everyone. There are modified moves for every position. It's also a theory that you tend toward flexibility or strength. I'm very flexible, but I can't do a tree pose without support. It's not a competitive practice as the best instructors will "preach". And progressive. The more you practice, you will notice you abilities increase. A fantastic workout too when the focus is on core, like doing planks.

My Achilles' tendons, shoulders and lower back all disagree.

I'm not new to yoga; I did Hatha Yoga in college and since. Now, every time I try it, my poses get worse and worse in how they affect me. I do the ones on OnDemand, so I don't have an instructor with me. I do know how and when to modify poses. I don't want them to hurt me.

I get better results from Pilates.

OP, best of luck in achieving your handstands. I'm too chicken.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

You should avoid those yoga positions if you suffer from migraines or high blood pressure. Your yoga instructor should mention this.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I am taking my first yoga class tomorrow. It is a Yin Yoga. I sure hope they don't do handstands in that class or I will have to pass.

Honored Contributor
On 7/28/2014 Lori K said:

I am taking my first yoga class tomorrow. It is a Yin Yoga. I sure hope they don't do handstands in that class or I will have to pass.

Don't worry about it. Inversion positions wouldn't be introduced to a level 1 class. If that should happen, run like heck to another studio.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I did yoga for years and never was able to do a handstand. Our instructor had us do them (or in my case, attempt) at every class.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004