Respected Contributor
On 11/25/2014 AnnaBella said: Do you think they have yoga classes for people with arthritis?

Of course! But you need a class or teacher who is sensitive to injuries or disabilities, either a gentle yoga or senior yoga class. This would be a teacher who offers alternative versions of the poses and eases you into them gradually after proper warm-up. You do NOT need a teacher who pushes you to go beyond comfort. While I do recommend a class and teacher, if you want to sample yoga, try one of Peggy Cappy's DVD's. She has several, but there is one called, "Easy Yoga for Arthritis."

I've practiced yoga off and on since the 1970's when Lilias Folan was on TV. It increases flexibility, balance, strength, and mental peace. It is not a competitive activity, each person goes at his/her own ability. You can hurt yourself, so it's best to use a DVD like Peggy's or be in a class.

Esteemed Contributor

Some places offer "seated yoga" where you sit in a chair and do many moves.

I have done both floor and seated and for a beginner, seated would be wonderful.

Valued Contributor
On 11/26/2014 sidsmom said:

I wanna play (crying, stomping feet)!! I read these posts about the benefits of yoga & sit slumped shouldered, defeated. I've tried yoga a bunch of times, but...just don't 'get' it. It's like a secret I'm not in on!! =:0.

feline..you have me wanting to try again!

sidsmom -- I learned years ago that the right yoga teacher is key. I've taken tons of yoga classes over many years. Some teaching styles don't match the way I like to learn and so I didn't stay in those classes. For me, I've learned that classes with wonderful teachers are the key to my yoga bliss! I enjoy classes so much more than doing yoga alone in my house, but that's a personal preference. I encourage you to keep trying to find the best yoga practice that works for you. Once you do, you'll be in on the secret! Wink

Regular Contributor
Sidsmom- if I remember correctly your are an athlete who is very active correct? Also a runner? I have found that HOT yoga is the right fit for me. I am also I'm very good shape and an active runner. Hot yoga is both a strenuous workout AND a peaceful restorative moving meditation for me . I don't have the same experience with regular yoga - not enough of a "" work out"" for me. This may be the secret to find your yoga bliss...!
Honored Contributor

AspenGrove: YES! The type of instructor can make a HUGE difference...I've discovered that through years of cycling classes. I promise...I'll continue to my quest for the Holy Grail of Yoga!!

olive59: Yoga & running, yoga & cycling are so very Yin/Yang!! Even though I practice TM twice a day, I would still welcome the meditative portion of a yoga session. I'm not a runner, but I adore indoor cycling. As for the intensity....after years of overtraining (yikes!), I'm hanging up my 'bada$$ery attitude' (!) and sloooowing my workouts down to build my aerobic foundation. Hopefully my body & hormones will forgive me as I heal!! Restorative yoga or a flow yoga might fill this bill. Promise I'll try...can't get too much bliss, yes!!?

Honored Contributor
On 11/26/2014 sidsmom said:

I wanna play (crying, stomping feet)!! I read these posts about the benefits of yoga & sit slumped shouldered, defeated. I've tried yoga a bunch of times, but...just don't 'get' it. It's like a secret I'm not in on!! =:0.

feline..you have me wanting to try again!

Thanks and hooray!! Go for it, Sid!!!

Just start taking 'hatha yoga" classes (the most basic form) 2-3 times a week at your local Y or elsewhere.

Eventually, you'll notice that you're more attuned to your body, and not just physically. And you''ll have more respect for it and what it can do, rather than just what it looks like.

And then you'll feel that the body truly is one's "temple", and it will support you better when you do the same: by treating it well everyday.

Like eating as healthy as possible, daily exercise (& yoga), good sleep hygiene, and daily meditation.

Self-compassion is difficult for most people, but yoga will open you up to it, and it will also expand your compassion for others.

Just be as patient and as conscientious as possible, as everyone is different when it comes to "getting it" as you say.

HTH! 8-)

Honored Contributor

Sweet feline groovy!! =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

I am inspired by these responses, to keep learning.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I agree with what the fellow practitioners have said and have given great advice.

I began when I was 20, I'm 55 now so it's been 35 years (holy cow, where did that time go??) It's been a God send for me in every way. It's an integral part of my daily life and my primary source of stress reduction. If I miss a day my body can sure tell.

The beauty of yoga is that it's customizable and has virtually no age limit. It's not about trying to make yourself form into a pretzel, but it makes a remarkable difference in regards to your flexibility, endurance, concentration and focus, mood and all of the things listed above AND you get to wear really comfy clothes while doing itSmiley Happy

If you can and have the want to, it's NEVER too late to start. Classes are readily available and there is a plethora of good DVD's, for every level, to do at home.

Super Contributor
On 11/26/2014 happygal said:
On 11/25/2014 AnnaBella said: Do you think they have yoga classes for people with arthritis?

Of course! But you need a class or teacher who is sensitive to injuries or disabilities, either a gentle yoga or senior yoga class. This would be a teacher who offers alternative versions of the poses and eases you into them gradually after proper warm-up. You do NOT need a teacher who pushes you to go beyond comfort. While I do recommend a class and teacher, if you want to sample yoga, try one of Peggy Cappy's DVD's. She has several, but there is one called, "Easy Yoga for Arthritis."

I've practiced yoga off and on since the 1970's when Lilias Folan was on TV. It increases flexibility, balance, strength, and mental peace. It is not a competitive activity, each person goes at his/her own ability. You can hurt yourself, so it's best to use a DVD like Peggy's or be in a class.

I missed this during my first read through. She is the reason and her program is how I first started. Loved her! She still has some DVD' s floating around. What a great instructor. She was on at 8:30 am, if I remember correctly and I still, after 35 years, do yoga in the morning, and I thank her for that. Great way to start the day.