Respected Contributor

Re: Yikes! A 28,000% increase in a prescription drug cost!

One time my husband was discharged from the Hospital on Nexium..I have excellent health insurance with very low co-pays so when Nexium was $70 I had a fit and went back to the Pharmacy.. He showed me insurance cost was over $1000 for the month...I walked out and shut my mouth lol..

About three months later the insurance company would no longer cover Nexium at ALL..and we had several alternatives that were paid in full for six months..luckily for my husband ..it didn't matter all of them worked....

Problem often with Nexium is it crystalizes ..and causes problems..according to his MD.

Respected Contributor

I was getting a script the other day at Walgreens and heard them at the Drive Thru..some lady hit her donut hole or whatever and her meds were $312 ..Crestor or something like that..horrible.

Respected Contributor

As this becomes more of the norm, I would have no problem asking my physician to prescribe a different medicine. Try and beat them at their own game so to speak.

I spend half of the year in Arizona and there are many people who trek to Mexico for dental work and drugs. Call me a skeptic but I'll stick right here in the good old U.S. of A.

Esteemed Contributor

Nadolol is a non-selective beta blocker. A much less expensive alternative would be Inderal.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 CouponQueen said:
On 2/6/2015 terrier3 said:

If Part D legislation included the ability to negotiate prices...we wouldn't be in this situation.

This was PRIOR to ACA...it was baked into Part D - the benefit that came with NO funding source.

Terrier now you know nobody wants to hear that..they want to blame ACA..no matter WHAT!

It's my solemn duty to remind people that Part D was a Medicare addition - passed about 10 years ago or so.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband was on something that cost him around $35 per month at Target. Target had some sort of special deal or coupon for getting it. Well that just expired so now the cost is over $500 per month! Totally absurd. We won't pay that. He was not sure it was working anyway.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

My husband and I take two different types of insulin--Lantus & Novolog (slow acting & fast acting)--they went from $25 per month each to $55 per month each with our insurance coverage--we couldn't afford that. I went online to the companies that make the insulins and signed up for their discount card--it doesn't matter if you have drug insurance or not. Now we pay $25 for each refill of insulin for the next two years--what a relief!!

It's worth checking out the drug's website to see if they offer discounts!!!

Also, some places give certain meds free--my supermarket fills common antibiotics for free, as well as some blood pressure meds--it's worth finding out if any place in your area offers that--you never know.

It's a sin what has happened to our health system--and it makes no sense. If people cannot afford their meds, then they end up in the hospital--which their insurance ends up paying a lot of money for--when they could have avoided that expense by making the meds affordable! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Valued Contributor

I supposedly have a good Part D plan. My last prescription was $320 copay. Last hear, after I hit the donut hole, I had 2 prescriptions that were $600 each, even with the discount, plus my other prescriptions.

For those who are hoping that the younger generation will figure it out and do better, don't bank on it. Our paper the other day had a huge editorial about how seniors should NOT be given any advantage, help, or discount on taxes & such. The attitude out there among many of the younger ones is that we've had our chance, should have saved our money for this stage of life, so get off the stage. Like it or not, those feelings are out there.

Honored Contributor

I was buying my thyroid medication out of pocket from Canada which was $80 for 500 tablets. They reformulated the product & changed the price to $180 for 500 tablets. Still not a bad price. I switched to NP Thyroid since it's similar to old Armour & pay $20 for a 90 supply with my Ins. I think without Ins it's about $180. Anytime the doctor has to prescribe something for me I always tell him don't prescribe any of that expensive stuff. LOL!!! There are plenty of older drugs on the market that cost less, they know it works & what kind of side effects they have instead of the newer expensive drugs that they are not sure of the side effects.

Occasional Contributor

Welcome to Obummer Care. I had a $1500 per person ded, now it's $7500 and prescriptions don't count towards the ded. I feel like I am now paying for several other people's along with my own coverage Smiley Sad