Honored Contributor

Yikes! A 28,000% increase in a prescription drug cost!

My mother's Nadolol which she's been getting through Walmart for over a year for a penny per refill just went up to $280.97 per refill. I don't mind a price increase, but 28,000% might just set a record for the biggest price increase in history. I was always shocked to get it for a penny, but Walmart had a special low price for many of the more common blood pressure meds and gave them out for a penny. Apparently that program ended without notification and (Surprise!) your penny prescription is now $280.97. They really shouldn't do things like that to people with heart conditions. Her total out of pocket spending on medication last year was only $380+ so dropping $280 on one refill was a bit of a shock to her. We'll now get it through her online pharmacy where it's $114 for a three month refill. That's more than a penny but a whole lot less than the $280.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yikes! A 28,000% increase in a prescription drug cost!

Yep. The pharmacy industry is out of control. My primary doc is irritated, as "they" (providers - ha!) have been questioning her prescription orders. This is not government subsidy. This is private industry. People are greedy.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

When some pharmacies sell drugs for pennies on the dollar - who is really paying for those drugs. I've never understood that. I don't use Walmart, but I know there is a whole series of drugs available for 4 dents or less lots of places. How does that work?

I know sometimes I've had a drug for which I used to pay one thing drop to half of that or less and then others go up 100%, but I never understand anything more than what I have to pay.

I've never seen anything like OP's spike though - who was paying Walmart for that drug before? What were her insurances paying and did they stop? What happened?

Honored Contributor

Our entire health care industry needs to be overhauled.

Contributor

I agree. Dexilant went from being covered to $600.00 for a 90 day supply. Insurance company insist I take nexium or something of that nature. Those meds didn't work and I developed ulcers on my esophagus. Now I'll order from Canada for $275.00 for a 90 day supply.

I have Anthem and now all my information has been compromised.

Honored Contributor

That's awful.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 millieshops said:

When some pharmacies sell drugs for pennies on the dollar - who is really paying for those drugs. I've never understood that. I don't use Walmart, but I know there is a whole series of drugs available for 4 dents or less lots of places. How does that work?

I know sometimes I've had a drug for which I used to pay one thing drop to half of that or less and then others go up 100%, but I never understand anything more than what I have to pay.

I've never seen anything like OP's spike though - who was paying Walmart for that drug before? What were her insurances paying and did they stop? What happened?

It used to be that the drug section of a pharmacy broke even and they made money on smokes, make-up, etc.

Now it's the opposite.

I think the one cent loss leaders worked out because most people take more than one med and they make such HUGE profits on the others that it all evened out.

I read recently that a lot of companies that made competing generics are stopping production - so only ONE company will be supplying the generic (and the price can go up!)...they are colluding to increase prices.

Super Contributor

On 2/6/2015 depglass said:

Yes it does......it is indeed a huge train wreck. Gardenman--am so sorry your mother is experiencing this ridiculous situation. Thanks for posting on a very important issue.
Honored Contributor

ACA promised Big Pharma they would be in the tank with ACA if they help them pass it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That's true.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 2/6/2015 depglass said:

Yes it does......it is indeed a huge train wreck. Gardenman--am so sorry your mother is experiencing this ridiculous situation. Thanks for posting on a very important issue.

If Part D legislation included the ability to negotiate prices...we wouldn't be in this situation.

This was PRIOR to ACA...it was baked into Part D - the benefit that came with NO funding source.