Respected Contributor

Does anyone take a probiotic that they feel helps prevent or lessen the occurance of v****** yeast infections?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yeast Infection Probiotic

I had them all the time in the past - awful problem to have. Then I started taking Mega Foods - Mega Flora Plus. You must get the Mega Flora Plus (not the regular). I buy from Vitacost. They're $$, but I have not had a problem since, and that makes over 8 years! I'm sure there are others, but it must be a strong enough probiotic to counterbalance the bacteria. 

Esteemed Contributor

The research seems unclear, so I am not sure about an answer.  That said I do take probiotics.  

Honored Contributor

When I was younger I had the V yeastie beasties waaay to frequently. At the time I didn't know much about the V and the environment it needed to stay healthy. The V is not a sterile place and in fact is home for several kinds of bacteria. Yeast is not one of them but an intruder who comes in when the conditions are just right...that's called an 'opportunistic infection'. Once I learned about this, I asked a close friend of mine about what I could do to help get rid of my problem with the yeast infection. She said I needed to have more healthy bacteria down there and one type of bacteria (lactobacillus) is what can keep out the yeast. She said I could make my own douche, using a mixture of plain yogurt containing active cultures and water, and use it daily for two weeks. Do not rinse it out. That took care of my problem once and for all. I was done with yeastie beastie for good.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I was younger I had the V yeastie beasties waaay to frequently. At the time I didn't know much about the V and the environment it needed to stay healthy. The V is not a sterile place and in fact is home for several kinds of bacteria. Yeast is not one of them but an intruder who comes in when the conditions are just right...that's called an 'opportunistic infection'. Once I learned about this, I asked a close friend of mine about what I could do to help get rid of my problem with the yeast infection. She said I needed to have more healthy bacteria down there and one type of bacteria (lactobacillus) is what can keep out the yeast. She said I could make my own douche, using a mixture of plain yogurt containing active cultures and water, and use it daily for two weeks. Do not rinse it out. That took care of my problem once and for all. I was done with yeastie beastie for good.

Same problem when younger. The birth control pills at the time and the fad of wearing Danskin leotards as tops caused my problem of recurring yeast infections. My gynocologist said that he'd read that LIVE cultures in yogurt were beneficial. Also told me to keep the area dry.

That's when I started wearing leotards less and cotton or cotton lined undies always. I also began my life-long habit of daily yogurt. And, yes, I even applied the yogurt strategically back then. Monistat was only available by prescription then and not always convenient to obtain when the *itch* began......

I'd suggest yogurt as a prevention (and a nice lo-cal snack)  and, of course, doing what your doctor suggests.

Honored Contributor

There are probiotics specifically made for women.  You can google it.  They say they help these types of infections.  One I used to take was called Renew Life.  I've never suffered from a yeast infection so I can't tell you if it will help or not.

I've never really gotten a firm handle on probiotics and quit taking them because of that.  There are so many different varying CFU's and I have no idea what I need.  Do I need 15 million cfu's or 75 million cfu's?  Is too much, too much? 

I know I took one in the past that cause me a lot of stomach issues and I had to quit taking it.  Most of them cause me a little stomach issue for the first couple of weeks and then that settles down.  I just never really knew how much cfu's to take.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

V•agina

Vaginal

Not dirty words.

Yet, the Q's algorithm seems to think that vπagina is.

Go figure.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

The problem with probiotics is that most are ineffective.  They have to be the right bacteria strains, in the proper proportion to each other, and in an environment to be able to survive stomach acid to arrive alive in your gut.  Very few do this.  

I've taken Natren probiotics for twenty years+ after a lot of yeast problems and subsequent intestinal reaction with food allergies.  But they are very expensive.  

Haven't had a problem since.  But I also have to watch my diet.  Yeast thrives on sugar, so be very careful with that especially.

Good luck.  Been there, done that, and it's miserable.

Honored Contributor

I swear by this product when I was getting them often. It really helped me. It's pretty miserable and can drive you to distraction. 

7628B2CD-3EB9-4DF2-8C05-82044C664333.jpeg

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Serving Per Container: 60
 Amount Per Serving:%DV
Cellulase (vegetarian)64,000 CU*
Hemicellulase (vegetarian)40,000 HCU*
Amylase (vegetarian)4000 SKB*
Invertase (vegetarian)1000 SU*
Glucoamylase (vegetarian)
Esteemed Contributor

I've tried several brands but the only one that works for me is Nature's Way Fortify Optima for Women, 90 Billion active probiotics.  As soon as I feel one coming on I take this and it goes right away.  I find it at Whole Foods. 

images (1).jpg