Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   I am 67.  Several years ago my pcp told me I could stop the pap tests..I have never had any issues so she said it was safe to stop.  

What brought up my question was a friend, she is just a bit younger than me still has a pelvic exam, but doe not need a pap. test any longer.

I don't do a yearly visit anymore....if I need to see the doctor, I make an appointment.

My blood work is done yearly as well as a mammogram.

Respected Contributor

I just turned 69.  After 65 paps no longer needed unless their is a health reason to do so.  Insurance won't pay for yearly exams at 65.

But please have a mammo yearly.  It was suggested for over 50 having one every 2 years.  DON'T!!  I was 62 and a very small cancer was found.  I had lumpectomy/radiation and have been clean for 7 years. If I had waited another year who knows how things would have gone differently.

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

My late mother developed ovarian cancer at age 69 and passed away at 72. 

Ovarian cancer is rarely detected in a pelvic exam and usually in an advanced stage if it is.  So @ellaphant  please be vigilant beyond getting that pelvic exam.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I'm 74. At my pap appiontment last month, I asked the doc it I was her oldest patient. She said she had a 100 yo patient. She said as long as you have your "parts" come to see me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe ovarian cancer would be detected in a pelvic exam unless it was a large mass but I had a Doctor inform me that she discovered 4 vaginal cancers her first 4 years in practice.  That shocked me!

She agreed, if it's still there, check it out!

Respected Contributor

Re: Yearly exam/age

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

I don't believe ovarian cancer would be detected in a pelvic exam unless it was a large mass but I had a Doctor inform me that she discovered 4 vaginal cancers her first 4 years in practice.  That shocked me!

She agreed, if it's still there, check it out!

Doctors recommend care based on several criteria one being what is referred to as "standard of care" It just the industry standard for caring for a certain ailment. It's just a guidline. There is no rule that a physician must not provide care that exceeds the standard of care. The problem is when insurance gets involved.

A diligent provider should be able to code the service or get prior authorization based on the individual patient history or complaints. 

Another option is to private pay the service. You sign an ABN that says you know insurance will not/may not pay and so I will be responsible.

I'm going to continue to be an informed patient and expect my physician to work with me to get the preventative care that will keep all my parts healthy as long as I need them. This includes the dreaded pelvic exams.

PS And I think it is unfair to ration care based upon advancing age. Who is to know if you will live to be 90+ like Buffett or die at age 60 like my mother. 

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I am sorry for your loss. My mother also was diagnosed at 69 with ovarian cancer and passed at 72. I am scheduling my gyn appt this week. 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I think the AMA changed the Pap frequency recommendation a few years ago to once every other year instead of once yearly, so that is what my gyno does.  I can't remember if it is her or a friend who goes to the same gyno who mentioned this year will be my last Pap since I turn 65 next year.  But, I expect I would get a pelvic since I get those regardless of whether I'm getting a Pap or not.  

I don't remember when my mother was diagnosed, but she died of Ovarian cancer at 66.  Her diagnosis was delayed because nobody thought she could get Ovarian cancer since she had everything including Ovaries removed back when I was in high school due to fibroids. In fact our retired former  family doctor was talking to her one day and said "If I didn't know better I'd say you have Ovarian cancer."  Well, she did.

The Pap doesn't really catch Ovarian cancer though.  There really is no good test to catch it which is why it's often advanced when discovered. 

A PAP test does NOT have anything to do with detecting ovarian cancer. At 69  my mother had a gyn exam and negative PAP done in June, began experiencing problems in July and in the Fall was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She died 3 years later. 

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

Ovarian cancer is rarely detected in a pelvic exam and usually in an advanced stage if it is.  So @ellaphant  please be vigilant beyond getting that pelvic exam.

• Between 2009 and 2018, nearly one-fifth of California women diagnosed with cervical cancer were at least 65 years old.

• Over 70 percent of these women presented with late-stage disease compared with 48 percent of younger women. 

• Current CDC guidelines recommend most women stop screening for the cancer at age 65.

More California women aged 65 or older are facing diagnoses of late-stage cervical cancer and dying of the disease.  

That’s according to a new study carried out by researchers at the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Data from over 12,000 patients who were diagnosed with the disease between 2009 and 2018 showed nearly one-fifth were at least 65 years old, while 71 percent of older women presented with late-stage disease compared with 48 percent of women under age 65. 

Older women also tended to have lower late-stage five-year relative survival rates at 23.2 percent to 36.8 percent, compared with younger women. For those under age 65, late-stage five-year relative survival was measured at 41.5 percent to 51.5 percent. 

Despite the disparities documented, CDC guidelines recommend most women stop screening for cervical cancer at age 65, potentially leaving this age group vulnerable, researchers said

Respected Contributor

one of the medical studies I did over 10 years ago was a pap test/exam that I didn't realize I had to have one every month for 6 months! 

I was not thrilled but it paid good. 

I haven't had one since.