Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR FAVORITE CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT?

@Nightowlz wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

After years of being told we must supplement calcium, current science says not to!  Not only do calcium supplements not help, they can do harm. It was big news a while back. There were threads here on the subject and I’m sure an internet search would belting up lots of info.

I finally tossed an almost full bottle of calcium supplements over the weekend. I stopped taking them a long time ago but held on to them.

@willdob3 

Not true.

The problem was taking Calcium without the proper amount of D3, Magnesium & K2 with it so it goes to the right places like your bones instead of your heart, arteries from what I understand.

Seems like nobody has the answer as to how much of each we should take? Plus it differs with our weight.

I took Andrew's for a while. My labs show my Calcium level is where it needs to be so I don't supplement it. 

I take Andrew's CoQ10 & Essentail 1 which both have D3 in it, plus I use Magnesium Oil spray & his K2.

@Nightowlz  Not true. Magnesium, K2 & D3 are wonderful...calcium is the enemy.

For you or anyone else who wants to learn why this IS true, watch this video:

Dr Ken Berry - STOP taking that Calcium Supplement

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

After years of being told we must supplement calcium, current science says not to!  Not only do calcium supplements not help, they can do harm. It was big news a while back. There were threads here on the subject and I’m sure an internet search would belting up lots of info.

I finally tossed an almost full bottle of calcium supplements over the weekend. I stopped taking them a long time ago but held on to them.

It certainly depends on one's bone density exam results  as to if the Benefits out weigh the risks of osteoporosis .  I'd follow my  physician's   advice   based on my risk   fro osteoporosis  . Those with Thyroid disease, smokers, and  people who  use steroids   or take various stomach medications for gastric reflux  besides lack of weigh bearing exercise  are at increased risk  of osteoporosis  .   Osteoporosis   can seriously  impact one's health  and one simple fracture can change one's life.   Women  have increased mortality rate   regarding hip fracture surgery as compared to men.

Honored Contributor

I reduced my calcium intake from 1200 mg per day to 800, but I take it with K2, mag, and D3. My bone density has remained pretty stable for the last 16 years, so I prefer to take at least a lesser dose, but not do away with it altogether. 

Honored Contributor

I've heard certain "diets" are really bad for your ears.  Seems you can hear but you can't listen. . . Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I reduced my calcium intake from 1200 mg per day to 800, but I take it with K2, mag, and D3. My bone density has remained pretty stable for the last 16 years, so I prefer to take at least a lesser dose, but not do away with it altogether. 

@Shelbelle  I recommend watching this video if you have time Smiley Happy

Dr Ken Berry - STOP taking that Calcium Supplement

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ahoymate wrote:

Greens have very little calcium to meet daily requirement of 1200mg. 1 cup of kale  = 101mg & kale is one of the higest in calcium of the greens.

If you value your bones, don't rely on greens. Stick with milk products or other dairy.

Humans needs for calcium is extremely low.

Those 'requirements' are usually mandated by the lobbies/industries.

Like no one has died from a protein deficiency, neither has one died

feom a calcium deficiency.    

The reason the bones are 'weak' have nothing to do with calcium.  
We're looking at the wrong source. 

People definitely do die from calcium deficiency. 

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321865.php

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-HealthProfessional/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am just dumbfounded there are still those who start threads about taking calcium supplements and insist on taking them.

I'll bet 99.999% of folks didn't even bother to just watch a couple of very short videos I posted the info on in several other threads explaining the reasons why calcium supplements actually do harm and there is not one single conclusive study stating facts that taking the calcium is actually helpful at all...NOT even one. The videos also explain how calcium supplements effect the body.

For generations/decades it was something folks just take without even doing their own homework/research.

Taking magnesium, K2 and D3 is the way to go.

It truly makes me sad when I hear anyone taking calcium supplements...to each their own.

Honored Contributor

....and I'm just 'dumbfounded' there are posts still promoting this

wildly dangerous doctor.

It truly makes me sad when I hear someone falling for 'doctors'

who have had their licenses suspended for dirty practices

for years....but to each their own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only my doctor can say for sure whether or not I need to take a calcium supplement. My doctor will determine my need based on clinical evidence, such as blood tests, scans, and medical dx and/or medical history that may indicate oral supplementation. I don't take supps that have the potential to harm me without my doctor's approval. Calcium is one of them.

Respected Contributor

"Current science" does NOT discourage the use of calcium supplements. (And BTW, as on many issues, there are disagreements among doctors.) *Formulas* (with complementary vitamins and minerals) continue to be important.

It's nice that the calcium citrate horse pills dissolve quickly, but they're still pills, so they have binders. For me, it's Andrew Lessman's capsules all the way. 👍

What worries you masters you.