Honored Contributor

I have had nasal alergies all my life and this time of year the pollen is horrendous, Xyzal (Levocetirizine dihydrochloride)  is finally available OTC. 

I took 1/2 a dose last night and wow, within 20 minutes my sniffling has stopped. I can understand why you have to take it at bedtime, it made me very tired, I woke up totally alert, no grogginess

I will take it again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have had nasal alergies all my life and this time of year the pollen is horrendous, Xyzal (Levocetirizine dihydrochloride)  is finally available OTC. 

I took 1/2 a dose last night and wow, within 20 minutes my sniffling has stopped. I can understand why you have to take it at bedtime, it made me very tired, I woke up totally alert, no grogginess

I will take it again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow

I had a reprieve from allergies for 13 years but this year they have returned full blast.  I have been taking Loratadine tabs someone gave me.  They work but I learned to take them at night too.  I might try the Xyzal myself !

Thanks for taking time to post your 'review'.  

Honored Contributor

Flonase is my go-to.

Glad to hear Xyzal worked for you!

@I am still oxox

Honored Contributor

Re: Xyzal - Antihistimine

[ Edited ]

This is from a health/medical website. For those who already take Zyrtec it's pretty much the same thing. Possibly better, possibly not.

"Is Xyzal any different than Zyrtec?

"As mentioned, Xyzal is basically just a form of Zyrtec.
What does the whole levo/dextro thing mean? Well, imagine that you’re a gigantic drug molecule which is somehow able to see. You’re standing in front of a mirror – so there are two versions of you. Your mirror image is you but flipped over.

"In medications sometimes the mirror image is more effective than the other form. Xyzal, then, is just the levo, or “left-handed,” version of the chemical that makes up Zyrtec. It is possible that this makes it more effective. One study showed that Xyzal binds to certain histamine receptors with twice the affinity of Zyrtec.

"Critics point out, however, that companies can take an old medication and say that a specific form of it is better, patent that form, and then sell it when their patent runs out on the old medication. One study has shown, in fact, that Zyrtec actually provides longer symptom relief than Xyzal."

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Xyzal - Antihistimine

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

This is from a health/medical website. For those who already take Zyrtec it's pretty much the same thing. Possibly better, possibly not.

"Is Xyzal any different than Zyrtec?

"As mentioned, Xyzal is basically just a form of Zyrtec.
What does the whole levo/dextro thing mean? Well, imagine that you’re a gigantic drug molecule which is somehow able to see. You’re standing in front of a mirror – so there are two versions of you. Your mirror image is you but flipped over.

"In medications sometimes the mirror image is more effective than the other form. Xyzal, then, is just the levo, or “left-handed,” version of the chemical that makes up Zyrtec. It is possible that this makes it more effective. One study showed that Xyzal binds to certain histamine receptors with twice the affinity of Zyrtec.

"Critics point out, however, that companies can take an old medication and say that a specific form of it is better, patent that form, and then sell it when their patent runs out on the old medication. One study has shown, in fact, that Zyrtec actually provides longer symptom relief than Xyzal."

That's interesting.  I'll probably just stick with the Zyrtec then.

Honored Contributor

Zyrtec has always worked well for me, @tansy. I've been taking it since it was a new drug and you needed a Rx for it. I do back it up with Flonase during certain times of the year.

I recently bought a year's supply, 365 pills, of Costco's version - for $10!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Zyrtec has always worked well for me, @tansy. I've been taking it since it was a new drug and you needed a Rx for it. I do back it up with Flonase during certain times of the year.

I recently bought a year's supply, 365 pills, of Costco's version - for $10!

Hah.  I buy Costco's version, too, and use Flonase as well when I'm in AZ.