Trusted Contributor

Re: XLEAR NASAL SPRAY FOR COVID

@PickyPicky3 thank you.  All I wanted to post is what was in that stuff? lol.  But I hadn't looked at it like I actually opened the discussion.    I didn't do a deep dive into it since I figured I'd post what was in it and let everyone determine if it was something worthwhile.  There's hundreds of nasal sprays out there so, unless it has some weird ingredient that all the others don't I saw this as just a marketing ploy.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I found this NIH publication about XLEAR. The article is lengthy and technical but it concludes by saying there was improvement in symptoms and reduction in the course of infection after using the spray.

"Potential Role of Xylitol Plus Grapefruit Seed Extract Nasal Spray Solution in COVID-19: Case Series"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7645297/

I found and read this report also, @SilleeMee .  I wouldn't be so quick to discount it's effect as a tool in an arsenal to combat this, either as preventive or a treatment of care.  Did you come up with the same conclusion?  I see it as an "addition to" not an "instead of".

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Issues aside with this product, I was wondering the other day if scientists are working on a nasal spray that could kill the virus or any virus really. I guess the key would be finding something that kills the fat layer that's safe. And if they did would it help kill off the common cold?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

@Mindy D  and all the others coming down on me for my post about XLEAR.  I was NOT advocating the use.  At the time I posted my information I was the 3rd person posting and there was no information on what actually was in it.  I googled it and pasted what I found. I personally would not use it since quite frankly I don't use any products with Xylitol nor do I believe it's claims.  As with any product being sold out there research and use your judgement.  Again all I did was google the product for what was in it that would give it these "magical" Covid killer properties.   But thank you for posting again and again and trying to make it sound like I was pushing the product.  

@eadu4 @I am very sorry if you think I'm coming down on you because of your post. That is not my intent at all. I just posted what I found out. I had no intention of putting you, or your post down. In fact, I'm grateful that you posted about this. I definitely never thought you were pushing the product, nor did I ever intend to make it sound like you were pushing the product. Sincerely, Mindy D

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I found this NIH publication about XLEAR. The article is lengthy and technical but it concludes by saying there was improvement in symptoms and reduction in the course of infection after using the spray.

"Potential Role of Xylitol Plus Grapefruit Seed Extract Nasal Spray Solution in COVID-19: Case Series"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7645297/

I found and read this report also, @SilleeMee .  I wouldn't be so quick to discount it's effect as a tool in an arsenal to combat this, either as preventive or a treatment of care.  Did you come up with the same conclusion?  I see it as an "addition to" not an "instead of".

@tends2dogs @Even though I posted that the scientific proof is not adequate I'm not saying that it won't work to rinse virus from the nose or prevent virus sticking. It might do so. It could help. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

The FTC comes down on many manufacturers for false advertising...it's their job. Usually it takes a whistleblower, maybe more than one, to get their attention. In the meantime there are loop holes which get used all the time, for example, Prevagen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mindy D 

The FTC comes down on many manufacturers for false advertising...it's their job. Usually it takes a whistleblower, many more than one, to get their attention. In the meantime there are loop holes which get used all the time, for example, Prevagen.

@SilleeMee @You're correct, of course.

"The Federal Trade Commission and New York State Attorney General have charged the marketers of the dietary supplement Prevagen with making false and unsubstantiated claim... that the product improves memory, provides cognitive benefits, and is clinically shown to work,” the FTC said in a statement.

“The extensive national advertising campaign for Prevagen, including TV spots on national broadcast and cable networks such as CNN, Fox News, and NBC, featured charts depicting rapid and dramatic improvement in memory for users of the product.”

FTC 32 page court document can be viewed 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

Issues aside with this product, I was wondering the other day if scientists are working on a nasal spray that could kill the virus or any virus really. I guess the key would be finding something that kills the fat layer that's safe. And if they did would it help kill off the common cold?

@pigletsmom Here's research on a nasal spray to prevent COVID. There has been  other  research on nasal sprays for other viruses and there are nasal vaccines for influenza. This area of research looks promising. 

@pigletsmom "Intranasal fusion inhibitory lipopeptide prevents direct contact SARS-CoV-2 transmission in ferrets" study
"Daily intranasal administration to ferrets completely prevented SARS-CoV-2 direct-contact transmission during 24-hour co-housing with infected animals, under stringent conditions that resulted in infection of 100% of untreated animals. These lipopeptides are highly stable and non-toxic and thus readily translate into a safe and effective intranasal prophylactic approach to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj-767mvcHuAhUOHc0KHfFABoAQ...

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for mentioning it, I ordered some for the sole purpose of helping my dry winter sinuses.

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv I find anything about fending off this virus interesting and appreciate the info... I can read through it and DECIDE FOR MYSELF if I want to look into it futher.  I think being close minded is  never good. Thank you to the OP for sharing