Honored Contributor

Wow - 2 mistakes on my Rx refills today

One med the doctor said was an extended release so it would work for 24 hours and the pharmacy just wrote take it once a day on the label but when I read the detailed instructions that they print and put in the package it specifically said they are to be taken once a day with your evening meal, and not first thing in the morning. It's a commonly used drug that the pharmacist should have known that. 

I was also given a rescue inhaler and I have had them for years so I know how to use it - it is 2 puffs when needed , no closer than 4 hours apart. The label reads 2 puffs every 4 hours. No one should be using a rescue inhaler every 4 hours.These things really raise the heart rate.If that was given to someone who did not know any better it could be very serious.

As my DH said - you are on your own to figure things out anymore.You better be on the ball.

Honored Contributor

Re: Wow - 2 mistakes on my Rx refills today

It's shameful the pharmacist would make such mistakes.  I know most of their job now is done by a computer but they're still well-paid.  Also, remember to count your pills - how many times I've been shorted.

New Contributor

Well, my pharmacy gave me a neighbors OCD medication.  I brought it back immediately but  thought that was as bad a mistake as you can make.

Honored Contributor

OP, the instructions did say once a day, correct?    As for time of day to take the med, if your MD wanted it taken at a specific time, they would have said so and/or specified on your prescription.   

Honored Contributor

@beadcat wrote:

Well, my pharmacy gave me a neighbors OCD medication.  I brought it back immediately but  thought that was as bad a mistake as you can make.

I went to the drug store once for my asthma pills and when I got home and opened them it was a bottle of insulin.

Honored Contributor

IMO - these drug stores now have one pharmacists there and the rest of the staff are pharmacy techs. At least at our walgreens that is how it is, and , no offense to pharmacy techs - my neice is one and I dearly love her- but they are given way too much to do and way too little supervision. At our store there are 2 techs and a pharmacist, the line this morning was about 6 people ahead of us plus those at the drive up window. Add to that the insurance co who refuse to pay for things for this reason or that , and so must be called back , doctors called to get a substitute Rx or to authorize refills and it is way too much for the amount of staff they have there. And, of course, here in Fl. they have to deal with patients who are elderly and don't have all their oars in the water, and it becomes a zoo in there.

Trusted Contributor

I recall when my father was in the hospital:  his coumadin dose was 1/10 of what it should have been.  Somebody misplaced the decimal.  I checked his chart twice a day and found it.  I had to insist that the nurse, who initially told me I must be mistaken, call the doctor.  I really had to get quite pushy to get that call made. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - these drug stores now have one pharmacists there and the rest of the staff are pharmacy techs. At least at our walgreens that is how it is, and , no offense to pharmacy techs - my neice is one and I dearly love her- but they are given way too much to do and way too little supervision. At our store there are 2 techs and a pharmacist, the line this morning was about 6 people ahead of us plus those at the drive up window. Add to that the insurance co who refuse to pay for things for this reason or that , and so must be called back , doctors called to get a substitute Rx or to authorize refills and it is way too much for the amount of staff they have there. And, of course, here in Fl. they have to deal with patients who are elderly and don't have all their oars in the water, and it becomes a zoo in there.

It's the same at my CVS. One pharmacist (who is he!!a busy) and several pharmacy techs who do triple duty on the registers and the phones. I'm sure that most of the time  (with exceptions for sure) the instructions/directions are from the CVS/Caremark main database and written to cover as many bases as possible.

About 6 or so years ago in my experience, staffing was deliberately reduced, at CVS at least, to save money. It's grossly unfair to the remaining employees, and as reported in this thread, can be dangerous if you're not paying attention.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I hate picking up prescriptions.  Our CVS doesn't appear to be well run.  There seems to be enough people working behind the counter, but the lines are long and the processing time is slow.  I can do mail order, but I prefer to deal with them in person.

Respected Contributor

You're lucky if you have techs. The CVS I go to is a nightmare; they use interns from a pharmacy school. Yesterday I spoke to one who said my scrip couldn't be filled because they didn't have it in stock and she didn't know when they would. I spoke to the pharmacist who simply ordered it.

I've had three major problems since this summer. I have the corporate no (I hope) and I'm going to call after the holidays.

The pharmacy I go to is open 24 hrs and they can't get staffing. Sometimes the pickup line has over a dozen people waiting,