Esteemed Contributor

Would you do this to lose weight?

A researcher from Massachusetts General is commencing a new study where she will collect fecal matter from slim, healthy people, freeze dry it, place it into capsules for obese people who will be asked not to change their eating habits or diets. Link below to the article.

I have done a lot of reading lately on the gut being the body's second brain, so this study actually makes sense to me. Not sure I would want to try it though . . . Would you?

Ars Technica article

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Would you do this to lose weight?

NO...I think I may puke!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Nope. I am a firm believer in the proven way of losing and maintaining my weight. And yes, I have been fat. From a low of 122# to a high of 219#(when 12-15 years old).

That much proven way(assuming you have no underlying health issues) is EAT LESS/MOVE MORE.

Let's see? I WAS fat and I was very slim? Now as far as FM? Not sure how that works with this once very fat, slender old man.

This must be another money grabbing bunch of "who shot john"?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Fecal transplants are not new, they have been doing that for quite some time for people who have gaststrointestinal disases that are bacterial in nature.  I know nothing about this study, and it is just a study, so it means nothing now.  Apparently, the researchrs are investigatint the possibilty the some obesity might be caused by a lack of or diminished healthy bacteria in the gi tract.  Since we are talking about a research study; no I would not particpate either as a donor or a recipient.  However, if I was suffering with a C diff infection that was not responding to medical treatment and my gastroenterologist suggested a fecal transplant, I would do it because it''s a generally accepted medical procedure.  

Honored Contributor

No way!  and I think the FDA would "be all over this"!

Honored Contributor

Yuk!  No, thank you.  What if you couldn't keep it down and then mouth might smell like...poop!!  There's an easier way to lose weight.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Oh that's disgusting. Just the thought of that in your stomach is enough to cause weight loss. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

No, I'll pass.

Esteemed Contributor

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! If people want to lose weight, there a simple, straight-forward way: They should simply cut carbs - so as low as they can. Exercise would be nice, but it's not mandatory to lose weight. Cutting carbs, particularly those that are pure sugar, is mandatory.

Honored Contributor

If the people get sick she could be charged with poisoning in the turd degree.