Valued Contributor

Re: Worst Flu I Have Ever Had

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Today I believe I have turned the corner and I heart-fully thank you for your well wishes....it worked! Rash is slightly better, but I feel pretty good. Yes...I have learned so much from all of you and especially from va603. Isn't amazing how many talented people we connect with here? I have learned that I did not have the flu....what I had was a virulent virus, which may or may not have been connected with the Fifth Disease that I apparently also have/had. I did have the super duper flu shot for folks over 65, back in October. So if I do get the flu this year I hope it will be less of an impact. Who knows. I guess what still bothers me is that I went to a doctor (sub for my regular doc)....a person with probably 15 yrs. of medical education, who told me I had a virus and the rash was "just part of the virus" then dismissed me. I know nothing would have changed if he had told me I had Fifth Disease. But, at least I would have had an accurate diagnosis. Oh well. Merry Christmas everyone....and stay healthy!!!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I am glad to hear that you have turned the corner. This was an interesting post and I learned something. I will have to call my brother. He had something similar.

You have a Merry Christmas, too!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/22/2014 sparklestar said:

It's probably the shot itself that caused it and not the flu.

Oh, baloney.

Honored Contributor

A whole lot of us grew up referring to vomitting, dire rear, and belly ache as the "stomach flu", but what we get innoculated for is inFLUenza, which may or may not cause severe nausea and dire rear, but ALWAYS causes repiratory symptoms, so the two conditions are different. OP, I certainly hope you are feeling much better. Many illnesses that are considered kid only are much worse when/if adults get them. The "flu" vaccine doesn't cause stomach viruses or food borne stomach infections.
Honored Contributor

Hope you're feeling better today and each day.

Super Contributor

Dire rear?
Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 bigsister said:
On 12/22/2014 va603 said:

I'm an emergency room nurse and I can tell you the flu is out early this year and with a vengeance. The rash you are experiencing is most likely fifth disease and is viral in nature.

va603, thank you so much for the name, "fifth disease" which is one most of us had never heard of or knew anything about. We learned something from you today. Thanks.

I want to say thanks too. I learn a lot here that I wouldn't elsewhere. Saves us jumping to conclusions.