Respected Contributor

Re: Worst Flu I Have Ever Had

On 12/22/2014 va603 said:

I'm an emergency room nurse and I can tell you the flu is out early this year and with a vengeance. The rash you are experiencing is most likely fifth disease and is viral in nature.

va603, thank you so much for the name, "fifth disease" which is one most of us had never heard of or knew anything about. We learned something from you today. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/22/2014 bigsister said:
On 12/22/2014 va603 said:

I'm an emergency room nurse and I can tell you the flu is out early this year and with a vengeance. The rash you are experiencing is most likely fifth disease and is viral in nature.

va603, thank you so much for the name, "fifth disease" which is one most of us had never heard of or knew anything about. We learned something from you today. Thanks.

No problemSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Are you sure you didn't have slap cheek also known as Fifth's Disease? I had that and I got it from a child at school.
Honored Contributor

On 12/22/2014 ednapsych said:
On 12/22/2014 pupwhipped said:

Did a doctor diagnose you with the flu? Meaning did your doctor do the "shove up the nose" test on you confirming this was influenza? Shove up the nose test is what it felt like to me, anyway.

Hi pupwhipped...well, no. He didn't shove anything up my nose. My great regular doc is on vaca so this was a "rent a doc" in the office. He said I had a flu virus and the rash was "part of the viral syndrome". He didn't say the rash was Fifth Disease...I guess it would not have made a difference.

Then he did not know if you had influenza A or not. He was just guessing like a shadetree mechanic.

Esteemed Contributor

Edna, I'm so sorry you've been sick. Sounds like you've been through the ringer. I hope you're on the other side now and will be able to enjoy the holidays. I understand this flu strain may hit hard in February! I received a flu shot, but I understand my shot may or may not cover this flu strain. Home from work today with a grandson who has strep. Giving his mom a break so she can go to work today. Take care, Edna, and I believe you can check the flu off your list.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

oops - I used the flu word -- you can check this virus off your list!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

I'm an RN in a very busy hospital. The flu is spreading with a vengeance, and will really peak in January-February. Flu shots, washing your hands frequently, sneezing in to your elbow, etc. will help. For the elderly please get your flu shot!!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Clover29 said:
On 12/22/2014 sparklestar said:

It's probably the shot itself that caused it and not the flu.

Rubbish. You don't get the flu from the flu shot. You can get mild symptoms, or the shot can be ineffective, but you don't get the flu from the shot. It's a myth.

So a shot from two and a half months ago caused the flu? That doesn't make sense. I got my first flu shot well over a month ago and I've been just fine. So have been most of the people I know. This year's strain is different, but the flu shot could possibly reduce symptoms if you do get the flu. I haven't had the flu since the Hong Kong flu in 1968. Thought I was going to die and to tell you the truth, I was so sick I think I wanted to die. I've been against flu shots forever, but I'm getting to that age where I have to look at my health a little differently, so yes, I decided to get one. I think it was the right decision.

Honored Contributor

The Flu (respiratory) is rampant here in Indiana. Some schools have closed down and some teachers are teaching the same subjects 2 or 3 days in a row because there are so many absences. The hospital is limiting one guest per patient in emergency room and the rooms and even the halls are packed with patients. I am especially worried about my 86 yr. old dad in the nursing home. He is in a very weakened state due to having pneumonia. The home now has 2 halls quarantined and all the nurses and aids are wearing masks. They are worried my dad will get it and in his weakened state I am not sure he would make it. {#emotions_dlg.crying} His pneumonia is not related to this virus so he could easily get it. If that's not bad enough, yesterday my mom came down with it and she is very sick. We have heard that the flu shot this year did not cover this flu (they both had the shot). We have also heard that one of the flu's mutated and no shot is effective on this new version of it. Needless to say.....I am very concerned for my parents.

Honored Contributor

Edna, I hope you are on the road to feeling better. A weaker strain of the flu was circulating among my sister, her daughters, her sons in law and her grandkids since Thanksgiving. In the last week, the big mambo ugly version laid out her son in law, then her daughter and now my sister. I'm praying it doesn't take down the 3 year old grand daughter. My sister received her flu shot - I think she got some other variant.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise