Valued Contributor

Re: Worst Flu I Have Ever Had

On 12/22/2014 kcladyz said:

Last year I was sick from thanksgiving till February. I kid you not. First it was a flu that totally knocked me off my feet then turned into a sinus infection. i was put on levaquin and trust me it has bad side effects. I developed very severe anxiety and panic attacks at night and night terrors and I became anemic. The night terrors wore so bad I became afraid to go to bed. I got so worked up in a panic attack every night I went for days without sleep and ended up in the emergency room for i totally went off the deep end on one of my panics. Turns out a rare side effect of levaquin is extreme panic attacks, anemia and sometimes nerve damage.

Oh my gosh!!! I hope you are doing well now.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor

There are many viruses that cause flu like symptoms this time of year. Influenza A and B, Parainfluenza, Respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumo virus. Fifth disease is caused by Parvovirus B19, which can be seen in adults. My coworker had it last year, she is 38.

The flu shot covers influenza only.

Valued Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Penellope said:

There are many viruses that cause flu like symptoms this time of year. Influenza A and B, Parainfluenza, Respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumo virus. Fifth disease is caused by Parvovirus B19, which can be seen in adults. My coworker had it last year, she is 38.

Thanks Penellope. So tell me if I am understanding you correctly. The word "flu" is really just a descriptor of symptoms. Many say "I have the flu." when they have an upper respiratory illness or an upper/lower GI illness. The flu shot, from what I am understanding, covers the influenza type of flu that is (upper)respiratory. The other "flu's" are really virus', not influenza. Do I have it right? The doc I went to said I had a virus....I guess it was my misunderstanding of terminology when I said I had a flu virus. Old habits die hard....I grew up hearing my mom say I had the flu whenever we kids threw up.

Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 ednapsych said:
On 12/22/2014 Penellope said:

Thanks Penellope. So tell me if I am understanding you correctly. The word "flu" is really just a descriptor of symptoms. Many say "I have the flu." when they have an upper respiratory illness or an upper/lower GI illness. The flu shot, from what I am understanding, covers the influenza type of flu that is (upper)respiratory. The other "flu's" are really virus', not influenza. Do I have it right? The doc I went to said I had a virus....I guess it was my misunderstanding of terminology when I said I had a flu virus. Old habits die hard....I grew up hearing my mom say I had the flu whenever we kids threw up.

I am not Penellope, but the flu is a commonly misused term. The flu only refers to respiratory symptoms caused by the influenza virus. The flu is not GI symptoms, those illnesses are gastrointestinal illnesses caused by other viruses, not the flu.

It doesn't help either that GI viruses also tend to peak during flu season as well. But they aren't the same thing.

And yes, adults can get Fifth disease. Adults can get any communicable disease that is common in children if they haven't had that disease before. So it is possible as an adult to have Fifth disease.

I am glad you are feeling better though, but sorry you were so sick!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

On 12/22/2014 pupwhipped said:

Did a doctor diagnose you with the flu? Meaning did your doctor do the "shove up the nose" test on you confirming this was influenza? Shove up the nose test is what it felt like to me, anyway.

Hi pupwhipped...well, no. He didn't shove anything up my nose. My great regular doc is on vaca so this was a "rent a doc" in the office. He said I had a flu virus and the rash was "part of the viral syndrome". He didn't say the rash was Fifth Disease...I guess it would not have made a difference.

Well...he did shove that light thing up my nose. Is that what you mean?

They do a nasal swab. My doctor had me do one a couple of weeks ago. It took a few minutes to come back negative. I had a virus but not the flu. My doctor said she'd seen very few cases of flu so far this year and that the vaccine seems to be working well.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Trusted Contributor

I remember last year or the year before I got that GI virus that made me throw up so violently. Norvak virus... Norwall... something like that. I had never been that sick to my stomach before. I could not stop vomiting. I'd go back to bed and have to run back to the bathroom. It was awful. I'm thin to begin with... couldn't believe I had all that in me.

Keep washing your hands everyone. I drink Emergen-C every day for extra Vit C. The key is to wash, wash, and wash your hands again after being out of your house. My hands are super dry because I wash them all the time when I get home. I even put my keys in a soapy solution because I handled them while I was in public areas.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

Valued Contributor

On 12/22/2014 adelle38 said:
On 12/22/2014 pupwhipped said:

Did a doctor diagnose you with the flu? Meaning did your doctor do the "shove up the nose" test on you confirming this was influenza? Shove up the nose test is what it felt like to me, anyway.

Hi pupwhipped...well, no. He didn't shove anything up my nose. My great regular doc is on vaca so this was a "rent a doc" in the office. He said I had a flu virus and the rash was "part of the viral syndrome". He didn't say the rash was Fifth Disease...I guess it would not have made a difference.

Well...he did shove that light thing up my nose. Is that what you mean?

They do a nasal swab. My doctor had me do one a couple of weeks ago. It took a few minutes to come back negative. I had a virus but not the flu. My doctor said she'd seen very few cases of flu so far this year and that the vaccine seems to be working well.

Oh OK. No...no nasal swab up my nose.

I apologize to all for using the word "flu" in my OP. I am grateful to all of you who have so wisely educated me. I had a virus, not the flu, compounded by the crazy Fifth Disease. Looks like my flu shot is holding it's own! Yeah! Silver lining??? This is why I love this board. I learn so much and it is so great to share knowledge. I know, of course, it doesn't replace a medical opinion, but..... you guys are waaaaay better than the "doc in a box" that I went to! Just sayin'.......Wink Blessings and gratitude to all....

Regular Contributor

Someone would have to tie me down to do a nasal swab on me! They stick it WAY in there!!

Super Contributor

I work per diem in a virology lab. The rapid flu tests are not very sensitive. There are lots of false negatives. They are best for kids, who shed a lot of virus. Our lab is always evaluating new rapid tests for the ER/night shift to use. The best test we have is real time PCR, which takes a few hours. Also, they really have to swab far up your nose to get the infected cells. Many times this isn't done properly. It really hurts.

Valued Contributor

On 12/22/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

I remember last year or the year before I got that GI virus that made me throw up so violently. Norvak virus... Norwall... something like that. I had never been that sick to my stomach before. I could not stop vomiting. I'd go back to bed and have to run back to the bathroom. It was awful. I'm thin to begin with... couldn't believe I had all that in me.

Keep washing your hands everyone. I drink Emergen-C every day for extra Vit C. The key is to wash, wash, and wash your hands again after being out of your house. My hands are super dry because I wash them all the time when I get home. I even put my keys in a soapy solution because I handled them while I was in public areas.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

I think what you are thinking of is the Norovirus. It causes extreme nausea and diarrhea. Sometimes several people can get it on a cruise as it is very contagious.