Frequent Contributor

Women who drink too much....

[ Edited ]

Inevitably it is that time of year where many casual events take place in clubs i go to. Seems like the same middleaged women get really intoxicated ,lots of their husbands appear very sober.  This leads  to the inevitable  fawning  I love you  gushing and petting me. I have very long hair  some woman will start trying to twist it up, braid it. I have tried to be nice. My husband usually notices and comes to the rescue. I even spoke to our club president who posted it in an email about obnoxious behavior, still it continues. I have been dreading events that were once enjoyable , Saturday is our big event , I don't want to   go through this again! Any suggestions ?I hate to embarrass anyone but I fear this is coming...Maryanne

Respected Contributor

Re: Women who drink too much....

I would politely but firmly tell them to take their hands off of me and remove their hands gently if they did not listen. People will only do what you allow them to. No reason to have to be rescued.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Do you really have to go?

Would he enjoy going by himself, should you turn up 'sick'?  heh

Or can you both just skip it?

I won't go somewhere that makes me uncomfortable.  If my husband wants to go I am totally fine with that.  But he would never expect me to go if it was so uncomfortable for me.

I say/ask all this because it has become clear that these obnoxious women are not going to change.  Nobody can change them but themselves.  So that leaves everybody around them having to either make concessions or not be around them.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Here is my sage advice.

No one will bother your hair, and you won't have to hear their drunk comments. 

Cat Happy

Frequent Contributor

These replies are  all great! Whatcha doing Saturday? I should invite all of you!  Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Why not just wear your hair up in a bun or a twist? As for the other obnoxious behavior - I would walk away.

Honored Contributor

keeper of the koi wrote:

These replies are  all great! Whatcha doing Saturday? I should invite all of you!  Maryanne

Ha!  Ohhellno!   I don't like obnoxious people so I stay away from them.  Besides, *coughcough* I feel like I might be sick on Saturday.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Keeper of the Koi should be able to go to the event and enjoy herself without being bothered by women who drink too much.  These women will likely not change, so I guess it is best to avoid them or politely tell them to back off once they start.  I would be uncomfortable too if that happend to me.

We like to go to a group trivia contest at a local restaurant.  A few weeks ago, there were two drunk women playing as well.  They totally spoiled it for me -- shouting out stupid answers, asking the moderator to repeat the question over and over, and just talking way too loud.  There were some men around them too that they were groping.  They made fools of themselves and spoiled the evening for me.  I don't know why women have to act like that; totally unattractive in my honest opinon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Sad, just stay away from these women, as you would if a man tried to paw you.

Honored Contributor

I would stay home. You should be able to go & enjoy yourself. The club needs to step in & ask the ones that need to leave to leave. I don't like being around that kind of behavior. Mine DH's uncle was always drinking & touchy touchy every holiday he showed up at the in-laws. I had to start asking before we went over who was there or going to be there. My SIL drinks too much. She could drink a case of beer & you would never know it.