Super Contributor

Re: Women Statin Drugs & Diabetes

On 11/10/2014 SarahW said:
On 11/10/2014 Tissyanne said: Pravochol has kept my cholesterol in check for years. I tried not taking it, and my cholesterol was quite high. I do not suffer aches from this drug, but my doctor tried me on Crestor and I could not tolerate it. I have been told diabetics should take a statin because of the higher risk of heart disease.

I disagree with your last statement, which is in fact is the topic of this thread. New findings are that statins cause diabetes in some women. The decision to take statins should be based on consideration of all risk factors, and doctors seem to be doling them out with alarming frequency.

Diabetics (particularly Type II, non-insulin) can often take charge of their own health by eating a healthy, relatively low-carb diet and getting plenty of exercise. There are Diabetes Forums where the statin topic is discussed extensively and many medical studies are reviewed.

I hope that any woman handed a prescription for a statin will take the time to do some research before starting the drug, and have a meaningful discussion with your doctor. Our health is ultimately our own responsibility.

I can't agree more. I have NO family history of diabetes, never had any symptoms, no reason to suspect diabetes and after taking simvastatin for some time, developed diabetes.

You know what else that has an impact on? Life insurance. Long-term care insurance, stuff like that. I will forever have "diabetes" on my medical records although I stopped the statin and have managed to normalize my blood sugar by watching what I eat and exercising.

I'm now permanently priced out of life or long-term care insurance due to this.

Honored Contributor

People are now living longer lives, and perhaps the medications available to us are partly the reason why. Most of us can understand that the proper diet, along with regular exercise can do more for us than some medications. Following through, is something that the majority do not continue to do. We all have to choose for ourselves along with common sense, and under the guidance of a trusted knowledgeable physician. We will all have health conditions that befall us along the way, pills or not. Hopefully we make the right choices along the way. Good evening to all.
Esteemed Contributor

I dumped my statins. My fingers would not bend and I had cramps in my legs. And to top it off my doctor said I was diabetic since my A1-C went from normal to borderline.

I am just fine now. No cramps and no borderline anything. I have lost 20 pounds because I was plain and simple... ANGRY. I don't need drugs that cause the need for other drugs. One causes the need for another. I am on the hunt for a new doctor since he told me not to believe what I read about drugs and side effects. Yeah right!

Respected Contributor

Not all statins cause cramps. I've been on statins for a few years, no diabetes. My grandfather died at 49 of a heart attack. I have hereditary high cholesterol. My trigs were 593. I'min my late 30s and I don't eat meat. Statins and niacin are the only things that have lowered my levels. If you have a fatty liver, niacin will lower it. Fatty liver can lead to liver disease including cancer.