Respected Contributor

Re: Women Statin Drugs & Diabetes

On 1/9/2012 Nightowlz said:

They just said on the news that women have a 48% greater risk of developing Type II Diabetes if you take a statin drugs. http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/diabetes/story/2012-01-09/Study-links-statins-to-higher-...

Catch 22 with drugs. Diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure can all be controlled without taking drugs. Diet & exercise. Stay off the drugs!

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 chessylady said: Statins have not been shown to prevent heart attacks. The studies show they are effective for people who have had a heart attack. Most of the studies involve men. I took myself off statins when the studies showed women in my age group are at a greater risk of diabetes when taking statins. Since going off them, my liver readings are better, my sugar readings are better, my triglicerides are better and my good chloresterol is better. Only my bad chloresterol is still elevated. Even when taking statins my bad cholesterol rarely fell to acceptable levels and I was at the highest dose. Without clinical tests to detect arterial damage, neither me nor my doctor know if I am at risk. I am at a normal weight, I exercise And eat well.

Chessylady, you are me and I am you. Please read my post #47 which I just wrote a few minutes ago. The only thing I can't do is exercise because of my RA.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 millieshops said:
On 10/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Diet & exercise would eliminate the need for all drugs....statins AND diabetic medication. Just a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet...with a little movement....it's so easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My wish for you is that someone you love and feed via your method (including yourself) never has any experience that proves you wrong.

Hippocrates and you are right that eating well in the right quantities and moving more is better than the opposite. I've just watched too many die young to believe it always works. It works until it doesn't. At that point, I'm so grateful I live among good doctors and near modern hospitals.

This isn't going to work 100% for everyone. Drugs do have a place. However, people rely on them too much. Do the work 1st and then see if you need drugs. This isn't folly lady, it does work.

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone on statins should research them thoroughly. I can't believe anyone would take them without knowing the side effects because they are MAJOR and I'm not talking about diabetes.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Skylands said:
On 1/9/2012 Nightowlz said:

They just said on the news that women have a 48% greater risk of developing Type II Diabetes if you take a statin drugs. http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/diabetes/story/2012-01-09/Study-links-statins-to-higher-...

Catch 22 with drugs. Diabetes, high cholesterol, blood pressure can all be controlled without taking drugs. Diet & exercise. Stay off the drugs!

While diet and exercise are important and can control diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure in many cases, there is a need for medication for some people.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 hckynut said:
On 10/21/2014 Lillyrose said:

I took a statin once and developed muscle problems. I will never take a statin again!

I have a feeling that one day statins will be off the market, just like so many other medications.

Sorry you had issues with your statin. Been on Lipitor(atorvastatin)since my 1st heart attack in 2003. No side effects ever from either the brand name or it's generic.

For me I "never say never", and not too many are more proactive and vociferous about health and fitness than I have been since the 1960's. Sure, I would prefer to be taking none of my "many meds", but I also am a realist and understand "my physiology" and what I believe is the best for me.

But using the word "never"? Un-uh for me.

Hckynut, with all due respect, this is about older women who have never had a heart attack, not older men who have.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Ford1224 said:

Hckynut, with all due respect, this is about older women who have never had a heart attack, not older men who have.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Exactly. No one disputes that those who have had heart disease or heart attack are best served to take the drug.

Here is an enlightening video fro Dr. Oz (and I am NOT a fan of Oz at all, but in this I agree with him.) CLICK!!

Respected Contributor

Statins are fine for men who have already had an event. For women, they did not help. I believe the Framingham study showed that women with higher cholesterol levels lived the longest and were the most healthy.
Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 SarahW said:
On 11/8/2014 Ford1224 said: <p class="quote_author">Hckynut, with all due respect, this is about older women who have never had a heart attack, not older men who have.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Exactly. No one disputes that those who have had heart disease or heart attack are best served to take the drug.

Here is an enlightening video fro Dr. Oz (and I am NOT a fan of Oz at all, but in this I agree with him.) CLICK!!

This is an excellent video explaining the current thinking.

Hyacinth Smile

Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 SarahW said:
On 11/8/2014 Ford1224 said: <p class="quote_author">Hckynut, with all due respect, this is about older women who have never had a heart attack, not older men who have.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Unfortunately this link cuts out at the best part. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Formerly Ford1224