Honored Contributor

Re: Women Statin Drugs & Diabetes

Trusted Contributor

On 10/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Diet & exercise would eliminate the need for all drugs....statins AND diabetic medication. Just a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet...with a little movement....it's so easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I have a good friend who is a health fanatic. She has always exercised and eaten low fat with lots of veggies and is the picture of good health. Unfortunately, she has dangerously high cholesterol because of her genetics and has to take statins.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Love it Sidesmom! Yep Adelle, my doctor said my diet and weight loss helped, but my tries were scary high. Tries were 593. I weighed 111 lbs. I'm 5ft. I take a statin and Niaspan. Numbers are normal now except for my weight, which I'm working now. I get upset when I hear people are not going to take their statins. Non alcoholic liver disease is killing people. The way to reduce a fatty liver is statins and or Niaspan. It can be prevented. Omega 3's don't work on genetic cholesterol problems. Exercise can solve so many issues, but meds may still be needed.
Regular Contributor

I took a statin once and developed muscle problems. I will never take a statin again!

I have a feeling that one day statins will be off the market, just like so many other medications.

Respected Contributor

And what is your cholesterol level? Is it normal? If so, great, if not, the. Try something else. If you get a fatty liver, that can be as serious as a heart attack or stroke,
Super Contributor

I did, and I told my doctor to his face I blame him because he pushes statins in an obnoxious way. I don't take them now and refuse to discuss them.

Esteemed Contributor

Sore subject for me. I was put on a statin, Lipitor. I was borderline for cholesterol numbers. It worked initially and then I started to notice my fingers would not bend and I had leg cramps. I checked it out and found it to be caused by STATIN. So I went to my doctor who tried another statin version. And then it happened MY A1-C BECAME HIGHER. He told me I was a diabetic. Yeah right. I dumped the statin and the "diabetic" medicine he put me on... lost weight, and now I am about to get more blood tests to prove my point. One crazy medicine chasing another... putting money in the pockets of the drug companies. Each one with side effects causing the need for yet another medicine.

I am now so far 17 pounds down with the good feeling that the next time I see him I will have wiped out all the damage the drugs have done to me. My numbers WILL BE NORMAL. And I might just be looking for another doctor.

Respected Contributor

Congrats on the weight loss! But what if the numbers are still high? Including the A1c? Try Niaspan. For me, the weight loss was not enough. My friends husband had a heart attack this summer at the ripe old age of 41. Thankfully no serious damage was done. He thought he had his numbers under control. I would rather take my meds than risk heart damage or stroke. Again, if your numbers are normal, wonderful. If they are not, look for something that can get them in the normal range. And yes, diabetes runs in my family as well. I've bee on a statin for three years and I have fibro. My point is this: I don't want anyone to look back while they are recovering from heart surgery and wonder- could I've prevented this by taking the medication my doctor prescribed.
Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 bonnielu said:

Sore subject for me. I was put on a statin, Lipitor. I was borderline for cholesterol numbers. It worked initially and then I started to notice my fingers would not bend and I had leg cramps. I checked it out and found it to be caused by STATIN. So I went to my doctor who tried another statin version. And then it happened MY A1-C BECAME HIGHER. He told me I was a diabetic. Yeah right. I dumped the statin and the "diabetic" medicine he put me on... lost weight, and now I am about to get more blood tests to prove my point. One crazy medicine chasing another... putting money in the pockets of the drug companies. Each one with side effects causing the need for yet another medicine.

I am now so far 17 pounds down with the good feeling that the next time I see him I will have wiped out all the damage the drugs have done to me. My numbers WILL BE NORMAL. And I might just be looking for another doctor.

I also had cramps and soreness in my leg/hips so bad I was limping. My doctor said "well you're getting older" I WAS 40 AT THE TIME.

Esteemed Contributor

Just to add a few more comments. I am hoping for the best with the blood tests mid January. I have trashed all meds. I am eating right (hubby is my guide as he has always eaten the healthy foods). I am the one who eats right but slips in cakes, cookies, pies, ICE CREAM at will. I have quit cold turkey and I do believe I am under control. I do have a meter to check my sugar and it is now in normal range. I am sure the cholesterol will come down as well. I am very active. Lots of dance almost every evening.

What got me most angry was my health insurance calling me up and telling to get blood tests,etc and explaining all about diabetes as If I were really a diabetic or worse yet someone without a brain that did not get blood tests (Heck they paid for them). You would think they would check their records. They promised to never call me again and they called about an hour ago.

This anger put me in a combative mood, just enough to lose the weight... and I did. Love myfitnesspal dot com, and my new Fitbit.