Honored Contributor

How often is it necesssary to see your gyn for a checkup at this age?/ Medicare only pays for a PAP every 2 years because that is the time line recommended. but some gyn's still say to come annually for a wellness visit. I know many who only go every 2 years or even longer, what do you think ? Mamms still yearly, that is a given. 

Honored Contributor

I just turned 67 and go every year for an exam and I think every 3 years there is a pap done along with it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Women Over 65

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle 

Every year, just like Mammos.

Statistically, the  occurrence of the ‘issues’ identified by Pap smears drop after age 65.  The recommendations for testing are based on those stats.

I don’t want to be a statistical anomaly.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Every woman's situation is different.  I think that should be a decision made with your doctor.

Honored Contributor

None of my doctors recommend wellness visits.  I see the doctor when I'm sick.

I see my ENT (monitor hearing loss) and eye doctor (vision issues).  I get my teeth cleaned twice a year.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

None of my doctors recommend wellness visits.  I see the doctor when I'm sick.

I see my ENT (monitor hearing loss) and eye doctor (vision issues).  I get my teeth cleaned twice a year.

@ALRATIBA   I'm with you. I go to the doctor when I'm sick.I visit my dentist twice a year & eye doctor once a year. I'm not a fan of doctors.I go when necessary. I don't look for problems.

Honored Contributor

Re: Women Over 65

[ Edited ]

I'm turning 66 this year. My last visit with my gyn was two years ago when I had a pelvic exam + Pap. My gyn told me that would be the last time I would need that type of exam unless there was a reason to have another. I've never had a positive Pap in my life.

Trusted Contributor

I go for a wellness physical and mammogram every year.  Pap smears are included every other year.  I am over 70, and need to go that often for prescription renewals, and my own peace of mind. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't been to one for almost 20 years.

Respected Contributor

Because I am still employed and 65, my health insurance continues to pick up the tab for the PAP. When I retire, I will be able to take that insurance with me, at the group rate with the exact same coverage for me and hubs, as my secondary. They will continue to pay for it when Medicare denies it. If and when they don't I will pay for it out of pocket. While I have never had a positive pap, I still got all my parts, so I think there's still a risk. 

It scares me not to have one every year for a while. I was late to menopause at 59 and never had any symptoms other than an absent monthly.