Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and support.  I was a little worried my cleanse wouldn't be enough as I power puked some of it back up.  Took a break and then restarted taking 4oz every 1/2 hour instead of 8oz in 10 minute intervals.  All the helpful hints were also great and I had previously read where someone started themselves on a soft diet earlier in the week then did 2 days of clear liquid which I did.  I believe this saved me.

I developed a system of adding pina colada drops to the mix instead of the supplied citrus powder, chugging, following with a gingerale gargle Smiley Happy, and popping a mint.  Made the taste tolerable.  

Colonoscopy #5 is in the books.  They remove a small polyp and results are pending.  I'm not worried though as I had a large polyp removed 20 years ago so am confident it will be benign again.  Hopefully I won't have do the nasty prep for another 5 years.  

Regular Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

I am due for another one. Mine are every 10yrs. My husband keeps saying to call. I am in my seventies and I really don’t want another one.

Just do it.  Similar to childbirth the memory fades LOL.   But, seriously if your general health is good get it done.  Dealing with colon cancer is way worse than the prep.

Honored Contributor

Miralax and Dulcolax is much easier to tolerate easliy googled and something to think about for the future

Respected Contributor

@Miss Shelly. Just saw your post. I'm glad everything went well. Stay well.

@jackthebear That's what I used to take. The last time I had to prep, the drink tasted like gasoline. My daughter had a colonoscopy about a year ago and they gave her a prep called Prepopik. She said it wasn't bad at all and she was totally clean (TMI?). That was not her first colonoscopy so she had other drinks to compare it to. I'm going to ask my doctor for it next year, when I am do. Hope this helps someone in the future.

When I have a problem, I drink Miralax and it always works. On a happier note, have a good weekend.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

I have had several colonoscopies and always have trouble with the prep.  I cannot keep any of the "lites" down and almost got sent home one time because I was so dehydrated.  Needless to say, I refused to leave.  I was not going to go thru that again.

But for my last colonoscopy, I drank a recipe of Gatorade and the Miralax.  My DD told me about it.  Any Gatorade but a red one and I was able to drink it and keep it down.  Doc said it worked well...

Super Contributor

When my aunt had to do this she got pills from her dr for nausea and it prevented her from feeling sick from the drink.

Super Contributor

Re: Wish me luck

[ Edited ]

Thank you RedTop! I can see that with BP issues it would not be good. None of my family members would be able to take the pills. Shame!

Valued Contributor

agree with jackthebear, next time, ask your Dr for, “Surprep”, minimal amount of 2 step prep, very gentle results..golightly needs to go away! 

Respected Contributor

I have a question...post colonoscopy, should you eat anything special. My discharge sheet said a normal diet but I had my procedure 2 days ago and wonder what to expect?

Thanks everyone.

Regular Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I have a question...post colonoscopy, should you eat anything special. My discharge sheet said a normal diet but I had my procedure 2 days ago and wonder what to expect?

Thanks everyone

My colonoscopy was Fri morning and Fri evening I resumed regular eating......an egg salad sub and chips.   Sat. ate regular food and then had my 1st bm.   (sorry if this is too much info)   

As long as you aren't in any pain or have abdominal distention from eating, you should be fine going back to your regular habits.