Honored Contributor

Wild Blueberries Versus Regular, Which Tastes Better?

Has anyone tried wild blueberries? I love blueberries, but I hate having to sweeten them. I read that the wild type are sweeter. Any opinions?

Honored Contributor

Re: Wild Blueberries Versus Regular, Which Tastes Better?

The wild ones are the teeny weeny ones, right?

I prefer the larger ones so I just sweeten them.

Esteemed Contributor

I eat blueberries every morning. I never sweeten them. I think the wild ones are generally smaller, and perhaps more of a blueberry flavor, (but I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense), but not necessarily sweeter.

The blueberry I do not care for at all are those rabbit ones, where they are very seedy/grainy.

But what I found out is the plumper the blueberry, the better/the sweeter.

Good blueberries come from northeast, from California and from Chile.

Trusted Contributor

I use the organic, frozen blueberries and strawberries from Aldi's. They are very good, I use them in my smoothies, in salads, and in yogurt. I put them in my tomato-based soups instead of sugar.

Super Contributor

When I was a girl, we picked wild blueberries in the woods near grandma's house. I remember them being small, but bursting with flavor. But it's been so many years that I can't make an accurate comparison any more. If you get a chance to try wild ones, go for it, if only for fun!

Honored Contributor

The wild ones are said to contain more healthy goodness, but the larger domesticated ones taste much better IMO.
Honored Contributor

Blueberries are heavily sprayed with pesticides. I buy Trader Joe's organic ones so I don't have to wash them after I take them out of the bag.

Respected Contributor

Wild Blueberries are smaller and as previously mentioned more Blueberry-y but not sweeter at all. Cultivated blueberries are generally bred to be larger and sweeter than wild type. If you want sweet out of hand go for cultivated. If you're looking for health go for the wild.

Trusted Contributor

I too eat them everyday and do not sweeten, but I put them on food that is sweet, like cereal, oatmeal or yogurt.

Super Contributor

IMO blueberries from Hammonton Nj are the best tasting. I have had Maine berries and they are wild and very tiny. Hammonton are big, juicy and so tasteful. Unfortunately they are only available in late June/July. I buy them when available and freeze for the rest of the year for baking or for cereal. Just thinking about them makes me hunger for them. I never make it home from my shopping trip , after buying them, without opening the container in the car and enjoying them.