Honored Contributor

Re: Why you should quit drinking diet soda

On 1/30/2015 ibb38 said:
On 1/30/2015 annabella said:

There are few foods on the planet that offer absolutely zero nutritional value, and soda falls into this category. I'm always surprised at how many people ask me if diet soda is really that bad for you. If you're not convinced, it's time to get the facts and understand the real risks that come along with this unhealthy habit.

It messes with your skin: Studies have shown that a regular soda habit has been linked to accelerated aging. If the long-term effects aren't enough to scare you, diet soda lowers your pH levels, which can cause acne and leave your skin looking dull and tired.

It alters your mood: The aspartame found in diet soda has been linked to headaches, dizzy spells, and even mood swings. It's especially potent in people with a predisposition for anxiety or depression.

It leads to weight gain: A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500 percent.

It increases your risk of heart attack: One University of Miami study found that folks who drank diet soda every day were 44 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who abstained from drinking soda.

It ups your chances of developing diabetes: People with a daily soda habit (even just one or two per day) were more than 25 percent more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than individuals who had no more than one sugary drink per month.

If you're ready to quit for good and reclaim your health, learn how to break your soda addiction. It may seem tough, but it is possible!

Thanks for starting this thread- funny how the soda drinkers are the ones to argue the validity of your post! Yes, it's been known for awhile that all sugar substitutes (not only sweet 'n low's aspartame) also impact your insulin level.

If you how the basics of reading a food label it's clear you should limit juice- whether we do it is another thing! We can have all the information in the world, but just not apply it to our lives.

Add this to the list: drinking soda (diet or regular) also affects your teeth. And poor dental hygiene ultimately leads to a whole range of other medical issues, cardiovascular for one.

Lol.
Super Contributor

I don't eat much junk food, smoke or drink, but I do like Diet Dr. Pepper. Way too much. I crave carbonation and I am currently trying to drink flavored seltzer water. In a way, I think I am even addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper, and that is not good. This article was a real eye-opener.

."..not to mention that bit about one's waist increasing by 500%.....I'm no math wizard but if that was true....doesn't that mean that a person with a 30 inch waist would end up with a 150 inch waist just by drinking two cans of diet soda a day. Do you think Spanx would help that person?...lol"

I agree, this part of the article seems like pure fiction.

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Chrystaltree said:
On 1/30/2015 Jezzebell said:
On 1/30/2015 uumom said:
On 1/30/2015 Sooner said:

There is way too much hysteria about food and drink today. Sorry, but live a good life, use moderation in everything, get some exercise and sun, eat a good balanced diet with lots of variety and drink a Coke occasionally when you want to if you enjoy it! Don't stress about everything, incorporate some spiritual time and get enough sleep.

You may be hit by a Coke truck tomorrow and die, or get hit by an water truck and die but you'll still be dead. Or you may do everything wrong and live to be 95. I've seen both. Do whatever you feel is best for you, and within your ability. Food has become a religion nowadays, and the sure way to Salvation. . . Wink

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

ITA!

Plus I noticed Gazelle didn't give the source of the article she copy & pasted in the OP.

...not to mention that bit about one's waist increasing by 500%.....I'm no math wizard but if that was true....doesn't that mean that a person with a 30 inch waist would end up with a 150 inch waist just by drinking two cans of diet soda a day. Do you think Spanx would help that person?...lol

{#emotions_dlg.scared} {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor

"Downing two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%" ??!!?

Just stop and think about that a minute. A 500% increase in waist size would mean a 30" waist would go up to 150". I don't think so.

I drink sodas, including diet sodas, only occasionally, and I don't know where OP's article came from.........but some of it just ain't right.

Honored Contributor

My dad's family was divided: 2 big waisted people, 2 very slim ones. The slim ones died in their mid 80s while the big waisted ones lived to 94 and 95. And so it goes.

Super Contributor

well, the other suspect item I picked out of the original info posted on this thread this was:

"It increases your risk of heart attack: One University of Miami study found that folks who drank diet soda every day were 44 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who abstained from drinking soda."

Why would it cause a 44% higher risk of heart attack?

According to the article I dug up that was reported widely on the net in 2014, most women who drank the most diet drinks were smokers or already overweight and/or had diabetes. In other words, they already had a condition headed for heart disease and the diet drinks didn't cause it.

Read this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitness/diet-drinks-linked-heart-disease-death-n66476

The researcher admits:

“We only found an association, so we can’t say that diet drinks cause these problems,” Vyas said.

Super Contributor

Diet soda has artificial sweeteners in it which have been known to cause health issues.

I have never had a soda, diet or otherwise in my life. I drink fresh squeezed fruit juice or water.

Honored Contributor

We ALL read (and believe) articles that support our own thinking.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

What about folks who drank regular coke, were active, didn't ever develop diabetes or any significant health issues, still had their natural teeth, and lived to be 95 years old? ( died from natural causes).

Honored Contributor

On 1/31/2015 Christmasnut said:

What about folks who drank regular coke, were active, didn't ever develop diabetes or any significant health issues, still had their natural teeth, and lived to be 95 years old? ( died from natural causes).

Raising my hand here because I knew a bunch of folks like that! Well, 92 and up.

I am not arguing that people can't make choices and improve their lives, but I believe that so many issues other than diet have a huge effect on how long and how healthy we live. I've known a person who dropped dead walking, and a health NUT who died early of something food didn't affect (and back in the 1970s a healthy died sometimes was very high fat--according to some experts besides Atkins--but him included).

I'm saying eat a good varied diet and don't stress too much, get some exercise, and to me that gives you the best shot at a good life.